Town Survey Update 1998/2001

High Street East: Sheet twenty two

Building: 84 Photo: C23

History:

Originally built with No. 82 in late 18th century on three floors, the upper storeys with broad whitened planks grooved to simulate stonework and with eaves decorated with toothed dentils. Clay roof and ridge tiles and medieval type barrel brick chimney stack with three or four flues. Windows on front elevation a mixture of side sliding and hung sash windows in addition to casements. Building renovated and improved in 1901/1902 with raised to four floors with present mock tudor jetted gable.

Watchmakers – Bowra – 1839

Ashdown

Clemence – 1881 to 1897

H E Warren – 1897 to 1932

Ironmonger – Head – 1933 to 1935

Café and cake shop – Williamsons – 1936 to 1957

Grocery and provisions – Tesco – 1957 to 1978

At the foot of the page is a photograph from the 1981 survey.

Current Use:

84 Cbrewer 1

C Brewer and Sons – decorators merchants

Description:

Early 20th century on four storeys, the three upper floors being in mock tudor style, half timbered and stucco.

Ground floor, bronze metal shop front in three panels with single entrance door and side panel on right hand side with fanlights to match over. Low brick kerbing/stall riser and brick piers each side. Medium height dark fascia over.

First and second floors, central projecting oriel window with four sash windows and decorative pargetting to panel between first and second floor windows. Prominent projecting clock at first floor level.

Third floor, within steeply gabled roof jetted out with corbels built off end walls, four light casement windows and carved gable barge boards.

Comment:

Although not listed, one of the most attractive, interesting and prominent buildings in this part of the High Street and generally in good condition.

Importance: A/B

Included in previous survey.

1981 survey

84 C Brewer 2