Town Survey Update 1998/2001

High Street East: Sheet twenty seven

Building: 94 Photos: C21

History:

Originally a structure similar to No. 92, on three storeys with narrow passage, Webb’s Alley, to right (south), side but subsequently refaced as straight brick wall under original hipped roof. Completely rebuilt in red brick in 1950.

Draper – Pugh – 1850 to 1881

Fishmonger – Theobold – 1881 to 1903

Pierce – 1903 to 1949

Shoe shop – Manfield – 1950 to 1957

Character Shoes – 1960 to 1965

Curtess Shoes – 1965 to 1975 +

Bookshop – Blighs Bargain Books (see photograph C21)

Current Use:

94 high st C21

Oldroyd Books

Description:

Three storey, two bay modern building under plain clay tile roof and ridge, hipped both ends.

Ground floor, bronze metal shop front with two fully glazed display windows and single entrance door to right hand side; another single door at extreme right leads to upper floor offices. Shop front enclosed between plain stone pilasters and with low stall riser as part of shop front. Excessively deep fascia with over large lettering under plain cornice spans full width of shop front.

First and second floors in red brick with brick soldier courses over metal casement windows with fanlights over, two per floor, left hand having six leaves, the right four.

Projecting box gutter with rainwater downpipe to right taken across above entrance to Webb’s Alley to right hand side of ground floor of shop front.

Comment:

Undistinguished building not helped by over deep fascia and lettering. In fairly sound condition.

Importance: C

Included in previous survey.