Town Survey Update 1998/2001

High Street East: Sheet thirty two

Building(s): 100, 102, 104 & 106 Photo(s): C16, C17 and C18

History:

Grade II listed, late 18th century corner buildings, on three storeys with facades originally all painted boarding with grooved lines in imitation of stone courses, No. 100, on corner, now hung with plain tiles. Numbers 100 to 106, with numbers 108 to 116, underwent major overhaul or re-build and rear extension in 1982/83 following Kent County Council decision not to widen High Street but to retain on existing road line.

No. 100

Building and ironmonger – Nicholas Lock – 1750 to ?

Tinman and ironmonger – Pawson – 1848 to 1861

Drapers – Marchant – 1862 to c1891

Marchant and Wright – c1891 to 1901

Orchard – grocer shared shop in 1886

Grocer – Weston – 1901 to 1908

Drapers – Marchant and Wright – 1908 to 1955

Wright only shortly after 1908

Chain Library – 1965 to 1968

Cards – Card shop – 1968 to 1975 +

China shop – Crest China – 1975 + to 2000 (see photograph C18)

No. 102

Grocer – Bird – 1848 to 1881

Fishmonger – Corke – 1881 to 1914

Butcher – Corke – 1914 to 1918

Fruiterer – Vallins – 1918 to 1923

British Gardens – 1923 to 1926

Butchers – Eastman – 1926 to 1968

Dewhurst – 1968 to 1982/83

Fashions – Benetton – 1983 to 1998 (see photograph C17)

No. 104

Tailor – Arnold – 1800 to 1881

Fishmonger – Corke – 1881 to 1923

Macfisheries – 1923 to 1982/83

Shoe shop – Saxone – 1983 to 1999 (see photograph C16)

No. 106

Fancy goods – Sutton – 1839 to 1852

Drapers – Marchant – 1852 to 1903

Marchant and Wright – 1903 to 1918

Wright – 1918 to 1955

Vacant – 1955 to 1965 +

Shoe shop – Saxone – 1983 to 1999 (see photograph C16)

Current Use:

100 106 high st 1

No. 100/102 – Halifax plc

100 106 high st 2

100 106 high st 3

No. 104/106 – Edinburgh Woollen Mills

Description:

Widely spaced three window façade to Nos. 102 to 106 facing High Street, single window façade to No. 100. Front elevations of building largely unchanged over years and unaffected by 1982/83 overhaul except for earlier tile hanging to No. 100. No. 100 also retains earlier shop front, prominent on corner. Nos. 102 to 106 have modern shop front designs.

No. 100 Ground floor, shop front full height, single pane glazing, single pane on High Street frontage with two on return to right (Lock’s Yard) and single entrance door on corner with glazed fanlight over supported on either side by original curved full height glass panels. Shop front in fine timber frame with low timber stall riser and narrow vents over all windows, medium depth outward splayed fascia, under lead flashed cornice, cantilevers out over corner of building and shop front terminates in ‘classical’ style fluted pilasters, brackets and bases.

No. 102 Ground floor, following acquisition by Halifax, shop front re-modelled to match that of No. 100, i.e. full height, single pane glazing in fine timber frame, low timber stall riser and outward splayed fascia and similar ‘classical’ style pilasters at each end; no door.

No. 104/106 Ground floors, following acquisition by Edinburgh Woollen Mills, shop front to each in painted timber frames with single pane windows divided in centre and narrow fanlights over and on medium height panelled stall risers. Single painted timber entrance doors with glazed side panels set back from rear of pavement on each side of Nos. 104/106 party wall. Medium depth outward splayed fascia with lead flashing over and raised metal letter ‘Edinburgh Woollen Mills’. Shop fronts framed at each end and in centre by ‘classical’ style fluted pilasters, brackets and bases.

No. 100 First and second floors, tile hung with single sash windows on each floor under dentilled moulded eaves and gutter. Similar treatment returned on right hand side into Lock’s Yard with two sash windows to each floor over shop front.

No. 102/ First and second floors, three window façade with painted board façade with grooved lines in

No. 104/ imitation of stone courses and under dentilled moulded eaves and gutter similar to No. 100.

No. 106 Coupled sash windows to No. 102, the upper frame being divided by glazing bars and single sash window above on second floor. No. 104 and No. 106 with tripartite sash windows on first floor, centre window being wider than two each side and single sash windows over each on second floors. Single windows on upper floors and centre sash window to first floor to No. 104 divided vertically in centre by glazing bars.

Roof, plain tiles with tiled ridge and valley, hipped at south end.

Comment:

An attractive group of buildings with the curved shop front windows to No. 100 being of particular merit and the corner building being a notable feature in this part of the High Street, especially when viewed from the south.

Importance: A

Not included in previous survey.