Town Survey Update 1998/2001

High Street East: Sheet thirty five

Building: 108 Photo: C15

History:

Early to mid 19th century building on three storeys with greater width than neighbours and upper floors in brick with bold decorative details. With numbers 100 to 116 underwent major overhaul or rebuild and rear extension in 1982/83 following Kent County Council decision not to widen High Street but to retain on existing road line.

Corset makers and drapers – Reeves and Marchant – pre 1839 to 1852

Marchant – 1852 to 1903

Marchant and Wright – 1903 to 1918

Wright – 1918 to 1955

Vacant – 1955 to 1965 +

Card shop – Clinton Cards – 1983 to present

Current Use:

108 high st C15

Clinton cards

Description:

Three closely spaced windows in centre of façade under brick pediment with brick flank walls finished at each side by decorated brick pilasters to both upper floors; Ground floor modern shop front.

Ground floor, full height shop front under deep white painted fascia with brown stained double doors in centre under glazed fanlight with single pane windows each side divided vertically in two and resting on low brick stall riser. Shop front framed by wide brick pilasters. Fanlight over doors blocked off with painted panel with advertisements. Over deep fascia painted white with single house style ‘Clinton’ in centre.

First floor, three composite sash windows with single pane below and upper half divided vertically and horizontally in two. Windows divided in centre by stone piers and brick pilasters each side and capped by stone lintel and string course through upper window panes. Stone cills. Plain brick panel on each side of windows recessed from face of windows and pilasters at each end of elevation. Pilasters lightened by brick on end recesses every fourth course.

Second floor, three closely spaced composite sash windows framed with brick pilasters and terracotta arch lintels with keystones and stone capitals at base of arches and moulded stone string course and cills, plain across brick side panels. Windows white painted timber with upper leaf divided into two and to suit arches. Swag style terracotta in panels set in plain brickwork below windows and moulded string course in brick/terracotta across full width under windows. Central window panels capped by moulded terracotta pediment with chequerboard pattern in brickwork within and small brick piers at each side capped by stone coping and finial. Brick pilasters at each end of elevation, narrower than on first floor, picking up line of stone moulded string courses of central panels. Lower part of pilasters plain, upper parts having terracotta decorative feature in centre and capped by small stone pediment.

Roof, slate tiles finished in central glazed lantern capped with decorative coping and terminal finials at each end. Roof largely concealed from ground level by stone capped brick parapet, raised from side panels of main elevation. Brick chimneys with single flue at each end of main elevation.

Comment:

An attractive building with robust character and details in terracotta. Modern shop front with over deep fascia detracts from overall appearance of façade.

Importance: B