Town Survey Update 1998/2001

High Street East: Sheet forty two/three

Building: 120 (formerly known as ‘The Grey House’) Photo: C10

History:

Early to mid 19th century three storey building in rendered brick with deeply cut joints, projecting quoin stones and tiled ridge and valley roof, located on the north side of Buckhurst Lane entrance. Altered dramatically around 1900/01, projecting string courses on front elevation being removed and replaced by plain rendered surface. The double hung sashes were replaced by small paned casement windows. The roof extended outwards at the eaves to provide deep soffit and the building fitted with projecting glazed canopy suspended on iron bars over shop fascia. Building remained unchanged until early 1970’s when it was renewed and extended at the rear.

Residential – Doctors Taylor and Elliott.

Baker – Ernest Parris – 1901 to 1938

Chemist – Timothy Whites and Taylors – 1938 to early 1970s

At the foot of the page is a photograph from the 1981 survey.

Current Use:

120 high st C10

Boots with offices and flats over

Description:

Modern three storey building on frontage of approximately double width.

Ground floor, tall, full width shop front in grey marble, deep fascia and medium width brick piers on each side and the whole protected by projecting lead flashing. Sub fascia half depth white painted in three panels and slightly bowed outwards to top. Shop front in aluminium with two pairs glazed double doors and glazed fanlights over. Display window takes up approximately one quarter of right hand façade with adjacent double doors separated by door width fixed glazed panel and automatic double doors in centre of left hand opening. Doors and glazed panels set back from rear of pavement. Low stall riser to display window and left hand recess faced with narrow vertical light blue/grey mottled tiles.

First and second floors, buff multi brick façade under plain concrete coping with four bay white painted metal windows to each floor set in pre-cast concrete surround each bay divided by brick and a half wide buff brick piers. Each window contains one square fixed light and one casement with one fixed and one narrow opening fanlight over.

Building returns on right hand side facing on to Buckhurst Lane in buff brickwork with display windows at ground floor level.

Comment:

Undistinguished commercial building fairly typical of the 1960’s post Second World War era, completely lacking in architectural character and out-of-scale with the more domestic nature of the immediately adjacent properties. In reasonable condition.

Importance: D

Included in previous survey.

1981 survey

118 High Street w