Town Survey Update 1998/2001

High Street East: Sheet thirty eight

Building: 112 Photo: C13

History:

Originally early 19th century three storey building with scalloped and plain tile hanging in panels on the external walls and very different in style from the buildings to the north. Subsequently re-modelled early 1900’s with four windows on first floor and decorated brick and terracotta façade and parapet, and, probably, modified again to current form during major overhaul and rear extensions of 1982/83 following Kent County Council’s decision not to widen the High Street but to retain on existing road line.

English and foreign fruiterer – L Carey – 1848 to 1903

(later including china & glass) A M Carey – 1903 to 1924

Groceries – Greig’s – 1925 to 1975

Ladies fashions – Hamells – 1983? to 2000 (see photograph C13)

Current Use:

112 high st C13

The OFFICERS Club

Description:

Two storey building with five window elevation, single window on left and two pairs to right hand side.

Ground floor, light metal framed glazed shop front on line of rear of pavement with single pane full height glass display windows on each side of central double doors set back from rear of pavement and single pane full height glazing on splays to each side. Doors have shallow glazed fanlight over and shop front rests on shallow brick upstand varied to suit road/pavement falls. Medium depth fascia spans full width of shop front with raised identity panel central over doors.

First floor, red brick with five white painted timber sash windows, arranged as indicated above, with brick-on-edge lintels and concrete cills.

Roof, red/brown plain clay tiles and ridge with white painted eaves supported by corbels and brackets in decorated brick; black gutter and downpipe on left hand side.

Comment:

Attractive, simple first floor over modern treatment of shop front.

Importance: C

Not included in previous survey.