Town Survey Update 1998/2001

High Street East: Sheet thirty nine

Building: 114 Photo: C12

History:

Early to mid 19th century two storey building of brick faced with stucco, the roof running parallel to the street was fitted with attractive hipped dormer. The eaves to tiled roof was very low just accommodating one small double hung sash window tight under the eaves. Ground floor had decorative curved bow window of four tall single panes as shop window. Demolished around 1913 and re-built as single storey structure, later, in 1925, raised to two storeys with front wall taken up as flat parapet and similar oriel and wall face to No. 116. Also subject to major overhaul and rear extensions of 1982/83 following KCC decision not to widen the High Street but to retain on existing road line.

Fancy goods – Freeman – pre 1884 to 1889

Bennett – 1901 to 1909

Yorke – 1909 to 1913

Drapers – Marsh of Sevenoaks Clothing Co. – 1913 to 1921

Gentlemen’s Outfitters – Whyntie – 1922 to 1936

Fruiterers – Sevenoaks Fruit Shop – c 1965 to 1975

Current Use:

114 high st C12

Thomas Cook Travel

Description:

Two storey building with single bay window on first floor over modern shop front.

Ground floor, brown painted timber framed shop front with glazed timber single door to left with fanlight over and full height display window divided into two on medium height timber panelled stall riser. Brick piers enclose full width shop front. Medium height fascia projects slightly forward and has raised lettering ‘Thomas Cook travel’.

First floor, brick faced with single one-two-one bay white painted timber bay window with single pane casements below square paned fanlights. Elegant curved lead covered roof finishes over moulded white painted cornice to windows.

Roof, red/brown plain clay tiles and ridge with brick-on-edge and tile coping to parapet.

Comment:

Cluttered posters to display windows detract from attractive appearance of simple bay window on first floor.

Importance: C/D

Not included in previous survey.