Town Survey Update 1998/2001

High Street East: Sheet forty six/seven

Building: 124 Photo: C7

History:

Grade II listed building, essentially an early timber framed house but with 19th century alterations.

Tailor – Sharvill – 1884 to 1891

Fancy depository – Carslake – 1891 to 1897

Butcher – Dunn – 1897 to 1908

Draper – Jones – 1908 to 1914

Greengrocer – Quinnell – 1914 to 1927

Cleaners – Beau Brummell – 1929 to 1941

Zip Cleaners – 1944 to 1960

Television hire – DER – 1960 to 1975 +

Radio Rentals – 1975 + to c1985

Butcher – Dewhurst – 1975

Building divided in two in 1910:

124a

Greengrocer – Quinnell – 1910 to 1914

Penny Bazaar – 1914 to 1916

Stationer – Dolton – 1916 to 1917

Furnisher – Martin – 1917 to c1975

Current Use:

124 high st C7

Image Service

Description:

Single window façade on two floors with further floor in roof space.

Ground floor, white painted timber shop front with single door on left and single pane display window to right and framed by green painted pilasters each side. Shallow beam over display window and door splayed back slightly from rear of pavement towards door. Low rendered stall riser under shop front. Medium deep fascia over broken in appearance by horizontal lines and graphics.

First floor, black painted horizontal timber boarding with single four pane sash window in centre, currently blacked out.

Roof, red plain tiles and ridge with black half round gutter at eaves and small single barge boarded dormer in centre with white painted timber casements under boarded gable end, all in poor condition.

Comment:

Modern shop front and poor condition of upper areas indicated tend to detract from the charm and character of the building.

Importance: A/B

Not included in previous survey.