Town Survey Update 1998/2001

High Street East: Sheet fifty

Building: 128 Photo: C6

History:

Grade II listed 18th century two window façade building on three storeys with modern shop front on ground floor.

Wine vault – Turners (and others) – ?1683 to 1867

Drapers – Marchant – 1891 to 1901

Jones – 1901 to 1930

Clothier – Rex Bentall – 1937 to 1965 +

Granada (see photograph C6)

At the foot of the page is a photograph from the 1981 survey.

Current Use:

128 high st C6

Vacant

Description:

A non identical pair with No. 130.

Ground floor, single pane windows on each side of double doors set back from rear of pavement in dark blue painted timber shop front. Low painted and panelled stall risers under windows with narrow fluted pilasters on each side. Deep blue painted full width fascia set slightly forward.

First and second floors, similar in treatment in brick with windows to both floors set slightly off-centre to right. Brickwork generally grey/off white with red jambs to windows with rubbed red brick flat lintels and white painted keystone on second floor and rendered lintels to first floor. Plain red/brown brick to left hand panel. String course over first floor windows in one row grey bricks between two red rows. Windows white painted timber six light casements to first floor and ?original sash windows to second floor.

Roof, red/brown plain tiles and ridge, hipped to right with white painted dentilled timber eaves cornice and white gutter and downpipe to right.

Comment:

An attractive building on modest scale similar to adjacent properties immediately to north, spoilt by posters in display windows. First floor windows should be replaced by small pane ‘Georgian’ sashes as on second floor. Appears in reasonable condition.

Importance: A/B

Included in previous survey.

1981 survey

VACANT 2