Town Survey Update 1998/2001

High Street East: Sheet fifty two

Building: 132 Photo: C3

History:

Grade II listed 18th century one window façade building on three storeys with modern shop front on ground floor.

Early history unknown.

Café – Pam’s café – 1901 to 1907

Fancy depository – Skinners – 1910 to 1914

Grocer – David Greig – 1918 to 1920

Newspaper office – Kent Messenger – 1926 to 1937

Dairy – Maypole dairy – 1940 to 1957

Bakery – Tip Top – 1960 to 1965

Butcher – John Manson – 1965 to 1985 +

Wine merchants – Oddbins

At the foot of the page is a photograph from the 1981 survey.

Current Use:

132 high st C3

Vacant

Description:

A non identical pair with No. 134.

Ground floor, shop front, single glazed display window in painted timber frame over medium height painted timber stall riser with plate glass double doors to right and single door on left to Brook Street office above. Lead flashing over deep fascia immediately under first floor window cill with ‘pilaster’ each end carried up from each side of shop front. Fascia plain painted green across whole width of shop front.

First and second floors, single sash windows to each floor set slightly off-centre left in painted brick elevation with brick string course full width under second floor window cill. Windows first floor twelve pane vertical and second floor six pane square, both in dark painted timber.

Roof, brown clay tiles with lead covered ridges, hipped to right, black painted fascia and gutter with white painted dentilled eaves cornice.

Comment:

Attractive modest building similar to adjacent properties. Over deep fascia. Building appears in reasonable condition.

Importance: A/B

Included in previous survey.

1981 survey

132 High Street w