Town Survey Update 1998/2001

High Street East: Sheet fifty three

Building: 134 Photo: C2

History:

Grade II listed 18th century one window façade building on three storeys with modern shop front on ground floor.

Watchmakers – Sevenoaks Watch Co. – 1908 to 1931

Warren 1932 to 1933

John J Holgate 1933 to 1975 +

At the foot of the page is a photograph from the 1981 survey.

Current Use:

134 high st C2

E W Payne

Description:

A non identical pair with No. 132.

Ground floor, aluminium framed shop front with centre single door set back from rear of pavement and white painted ‘classical’ based pilasters each side finished with scroll and capped with small pediments at full height of shop front. Single pane display windows each side, returning to centre door, on medium height grey/black granite stall riser. Windows to door height with fanlight and narrow black painted fascia and white painted board over doorway with black lettering ‘E W Payne’. Shop front finished with blind and casing at level of first floor window cill and capping of side pilasters.

First and second floors, single sash windows to each floor set slightly off-centre to right in painted brick elevation with brick string course full width under second floor window cill. Windows in white painted timber appear original, without nibs, with glazing bars, twelve pane first floor, six pane on second.

Roof, brown/red plain clay tiles with lead covered ridges hipped to left, white painted fascia and dentilled eaves and white gutter taken around north, left hand side, to centre rear downpipe, a pair with No. 132.

Comment:

Attractive modest building similar to adjacent properties, apparently in reasonable condition and only spoilt by slightly incongruous nature of aluminium shop front.

Importance: A

Included in previous survey.

1981 survey

134 High Street w