Town Survey Update 1998/2001

High Street East: Sheet fifty four

Building: 136 (136a-f) Photo: C1

History:

Original bank building dating from 1839 was of similar structure to others in the town having rendered brick wall surfaces with deeply grooved jointing and projecting quoins, tall and narrow double hung sash windows and hipped slate roof. Flank and rear walls were in brick with massive double hung sash on first floor over attractive flat headed rendered bay window. In 1926, the building was demolished and replaced by single storey brick and rendered building with pitched roof. Again demolished in 1978 and rebuilt as Tesco in 1978/79.

No. 136

Bank – Kent and Sussex Bank – pre 1839 to 1848

London and County Bank – 1848 to 1874 (moving to No. 67)

Millinery – Holborn Millinery – 1927 to 1933

Childware – Chick Childware – 1934 to 1935

Library – Prior’s Library – 1935 to 1947

Hearman’s Library – 1947 to 1951

Men’s Outfitters – Leslie French – 1951 to 1953

Sports Goods – Tam Hunter – 1953 to ?

Motor Accessories – Rally Point – ? to 1976/77

No. 136a

Men’s Outfitters – Leslie French – 1933 to 1937

Arthur Walker – 1937 – ?

Shoe Shop – Clark’s Shoes – ? to 1978

No. 136b

Mixed business – Miss Bennitt – 1927 to 1955

Mrs. McAulay – 1955 to 1972

Records – Spinning Disc – 1972 to 1978

No. 136c

Baker – Wheeler – 1927 to 1931

Hairdresser – Smith – 1932 to 1933

Simpson – 1934 to 1935

Cleaners – Achille Serre – 1935 to 1975

La Belle Femme – 1975 to 1978

Nos. 136d and 136e were an extension built on north side of Suffolk House in 1926 and was two storey brick building with mock panelling on upper floors hipped slate roof and plain dentilations under eaves.

No. 136d

Confectioner/Tobacconist – Cowlard – 1933 to 197?

Vant – 197? To 1978

No. 136e

Corn Chandler – 1926 to 1978 – largest unit with gap between shop and Suffolk Place known as Charlton’s Yard from mid 1920’s.

At the foot of the page is a photograph from the 1981 survey.

Current Use:

136 high st C1

Tesco Stores Ltd

Description:

Tesco Home ‘n’ Wear store on three storeys, second floor being deep artificial slate mansard roof and parapet; main superstore to rear. By far the largest single shop front on this side of the High Street, taking up approximately six times the width of average shop fronts and divided into six bays of approximately equal width, four bays to south (RHS) being set slightly back from rear of High Street pavement, the two to the north (LHS) leading to the main entrance to main store and passage to Suffolk Way at rear being set back a bay’s width from pavement and forming small public open space and entrance to Home ‘n’ Wear to front right.

Ground floor, on main frontage of four bays, each has single display window between brick piers with medium height brick stall risers varying in height to suit pavement levels; bronze framed display windows divided vertically in five equal panes with shallow off white painted fascias over and raised lettering to bays one, two and four.

Main entrance at rear full height glazed double doors with glazed side panels set back behind elevations to upper floors with full height glazed double doors to store exit set back from line of Home ‘n’ Wear entrance elevation and linked to main shop entrance by full height glazed panels set between wide brick piers. Wall between Home ‘n’ Wear and main store exit, three bay full height glazed panels divided in three and adjacent to former and similar to main street frontage. Double full height glazed doors to upper floors up three steps in brick wall between windows and store exit. Similar off white painted fascias over doors to Home ‘n’ Wear and open bays leading to entrance/exists to main store with raised lettering over latter.

Two stepped brick ‘planters’ placed in centre of small open space where efforts in planting have been unsuccessful.

First and second floors, multi stock facing bricks to square projecting bays through both floors, eight over four bay High Street elevation, generally with single top hung bronze windows in timber frames but two with double windows, bays one and three from north. Bays to Home ‘n’ Wear entrance elevation and over openings to main store have similar projecting bays and windows, the former having one pair, the latter one pair over each opening. Projecting bays supported by cantilevered concrete slab and capped by lead flashing.

Roof, steep slate mansard carried above projecting bays to form lead flashed parapet and finished at second floor level with concrete gutter linked through projecting bays to square downpipes between central bays on High Street elevation and at each side of bays to main entrance.

Comment:

A dominating and unfortunate development which does not ‘sit happily’ with its neighbours. It is out of scale, too crude and fussy in detail. It is of negative value to general scene but appears in reasonably good condition.

Importance: D/E

Included in previous survey.

1981 survey

136 High Street w