Town Survey Update 1998/2001

High Street East: Sheet fifty nine

Building(s): 138 to 148 Photos: B32 to B36 and G18

History:

First built in 1823 in grounds of Suffolk House Mansion to the north, as a residence on four storeys including one below ground, in brick construction with slate roofs and generally fitted with large double hung sash windows and louvered external shutters. External front doors were arched and approached by steps with railings and open areas, also with railings, giving access to lowest floor. Present shops constructed in 1935/1936 by forming single storey front extensions and roofs later altered from normal eaves to parapet in 1970.

Archway adjacent to No. 138 gave access to South Suburban Co-operative Society bakehouse at rear in later years.

No. 138

Auctioneer – Cronk – 1845 to 1955

Estate Agents – H R Cobb (later Porter and Cobb) – 1955 to 1995

G A Properties – 1995 to 1999 (see photograph B36)

No. 140

Costumier and furs – Adelaine – 1936 to 1960

Morleys – 1960 to 1968

Fashion – Just in Fashion – 1975 to 1980

Furniture – Sevenoaks Furniture Gallery – 1980 to ?

Water suppliers – South East Water – 19 ? to 2000 (see photograph B35)

No. 142

Hardware – Goodrich Hardware – 1936 to 1975+

No. 144

Grocery and provisions – Walker Brothers – 1936 to 1963

Key Markets – 1963 to 1975

Ladies Hairdressers – Lionel Anthony – 1975 to ?

Supercuts – ? to 1995

Fisher – 1995 to 1999

No. 146/148

Electricity suppliers – Sevenoaks and District Electricity Co. 1936 to 1947

South Eastern Electricity Board (later Seeboard) – 1947 to 1999

At the foot of the page is a photograph from the 1981 survey.

Current Use:

138 148 high st 1

138 148 high st 2

No. 138 – Your Move – estate agents

138 148 high st 3

No. 140 – Marie Curie Cancer Care

138 148 high st 4

No. 142 – Lunn Poly – holiday shop

138 148 high st 5

No. 144 – Moben Sharps Dolphin

138 148 high st 6

No. 146/148 – Pizza Express

Description:

In single block on three storeys, first and second floor facades being flush with the set back wall over archway to passage between Nos. 138 and 138(a-c) and the extended shop fronts are set back slightly from the general line of the rear of pavement to align with upper floors to No. 138(a-c). Upper floor facades of Nos. 138 and 140, and Nos. 146 and 148 project slightly to the front of Nos. 142 and 144.

The two upper floors in buff London Stock brick under parapet, with pre-cast concrete coping, raised twelve courses over second floor windows. Two brick string course of blue bricks over second floor windows to Nos. 142 and 144 and three brick slightly projecting string course between first and second floor windows for full width of elevation.

Both floors have white painted timber sash windows, first floor with twelve square panes, second floor with six, and all with white painted rubbed brick header lintels and white painted concrete cills. In addition, Nos. 146 and 148 have white painted timber shutters to second floor. Windows to each floor grouped, two over Nos. 138, 140, 142 and 144 and three over Nos. 146 and 148 with one over archway between Nos. 142 and 144.

Ground floor, shop fronts enclosed in re-constructed stone frame with square piers at each end of elevation and between Nos. 140 and 142 and between Nos. 144 and 146/148. Entrance doors to upper floors between Nos. 138 and 140 and Nos. 142 and 144 set in substantial re-constructed stone archways, raised above balcony level. Piers and archways linked by deep re-constructed stone beams over head of shop fronts and which also act as edge beams to first floor balconies and support for wrought iron balcony railings.

Square piers capped by re-constructed stone ‘classical’ style vases on stepped bases. Both archways contains single framed timber doors with six pane glazing above solid timber panels, round headed timber frame and semi circular fanlight with pointed glazed panes. Door archways raised above level of balcony railings and decorated by recessed panel and slightly raised square blocks each side and keystones in centre over doors. All piers and both door archways have granite plinths.

No. 138

Shop front in white painted timber frame with single glazed and panelled door to right with glazed side panels and fanlight over. Large single panel display windows divided in two to left on medium height red brick stall riser. Slightly projecting white painted fascia over with ‘Your Move’ logo in centre and covering existing re-constructed stone beam.

No. 140

Shop front in blue painted metal frame with single full height glazed door slightly to right of centre and set back from rear of pavement between splayed full height display windows with single pane display window to left. Display windows set on low stall riser/kerb and under simple white plastic fascia at door height within overall shop opening and with ‘Marie Curie Cancer Care’ and ‘daffodil’ logo.

No. 142

Shop front in painted timber frame with single glazed and panelled door set back from rear of pavement to right with fanlight over and narrow glazed display window to right. Lining to recess right of door panelled and painted white. Main large single display windows divided in two with fanlights over to match and splayed from front left back to entrance door. All display window frames have beaded and scalloped corners and set on four course medium height brick stall risers. Shallow depth to white fascia over set flush with face of overall shop opening with ‘Lunn Poly Holiday Shop’ in raised red metal letting.

No. 144

Shop front in painted timber frame with glazed and panelled door with fanlight over set between single pane display windows slightly back from rear of pavement and set on four course brick medium height stall riser; display windows have fanlights over. Deep illuminated white plastic fascia projects slightly forward and full width of shop opening, covering existing beam, and with ‘Moben’ ‘Sharp’ ‘dolphin’ in black cut out lettering over display windows

No. 146/148

Original shop opening lintel retained with piers on each side painted off white with granite plinths. Elevation divided in three by two square black tile covered piers with similar pair of piers set slightly to rear and spaced closer together. Simple hardwood doors/windows, two leaves each side set beside rear piers with deep hardwood framed fanlights over. Hardwood revolving doors in centre with side panels divided vertically in six panes and soffits to doors sloping down from rear of fascia. Doors set back approximately 2m from rear of pavement and raised about 100mm. Simple black painted wrought iron railing between sides of overall opening and square tiled piers and returned on each side into centre door frames. Railing provides space for planters and protection to side doors/windows. PIZZAEXPRESS in raised lettering in centre of main shop front fascia/lintel.

Comment:

Overall an attractive group of buildings, the strong simple lines of the two upper floors together with the remains of the re-constructed stone framework of the ground floor are reasonably successful in containing the modern shop fronts. Although not particularly distinguished, the shop front to No. 140 (Marie Curie Cancer Care) is possibly the most successful, the shop front being contained wholly within the overall shop opening. Although the fascia to No. 144 (Moben Sharp dolphin) is too deep, it’s simple shop front has much to commend it but its neighbour to No. 142 (Lunn Poly) is spoilt by the rash of advertisements on the inside of the display windows.

The shop front of Nos. 146 to 148 (Pizzaexpress) is clearly the most impressive in design and quality of materials used but regrettably it is out-of-scale with the remainder of the shop fronts to the group of buildings, nevertheless its quality should be an example to others which generally need enhancing.

Importance: A/B

Included in previous survey.

1981 survey

138 148 High Street B1

138 148 2 High Street B2

138 148 High Street w B2