Town Survey Update 1998/2001

High Street East: Sheet sixty three/four

Building: 150 Photos: B31

History:

Built prior to 1823 when known as Suffolk Cottage, forming part of the Suffolk House Mansion grounds, later name changed to Suffolk Lodge and demolished and re-built with adjacent building , 138 to 148, in 1934 to 1936.

Early occupants/residents not known.

Haberdasher – Scotch Wool and Hosiery – 1938 to 1968

Ladies Wear – Country Casuals – 1968 to present

At the foot of the page is a photograph from the 1981 survey.

Current Use:

150 high st B31

Country Casuals

Description:

‘Semi-classical’ style 1930’s building on three storeys standing alone with two window façade facing High Street with single window façade facing north and two window façade to south.

Ground floor, shop front fine white painted timber frame with centre single glazed door and second single glazed door in separate white painted timber frame on left for access to upper floors, both with fanlights over. Single pane full height display windows on low/medium height mottled pink granite stall risers on rear of pavement but splayed back to both doors set back and on right with narrow single display windows and stall risers. White painted pilasters at each end of elevation with moulded capping and fluted brackets enclosing shop front and deep wine coloured painted fascia over capped with lead flashing; modest sized ‘Country Casuals’ lettering in centre lit by overhead strip light.

First and second floors, in London Stock brick, buff to head of first floor windows and yellow above on second floor to eaves, including three courses slightly projecting string courses between windows. Elevation divided vertically in five panels with the two containing windows brought forward about one half brick depth from face of wall panels between and on each side. Fine white painted sash windows to each floor, twelve vertical panes on first floor, twelve square panes on second floor, with painted reveals, white painted rubbed brick header lintels and white painted concrete cills to each.

Single white painted sash windows on upper floors of north elevation and two white painted timber windows on each upper floor on south elevation, one casement, one sash with single casement window on ground floor.

Roof, shallow pitched slate roof, hipped each side, with half round white plastic gutter on wide projecting eaves, returned on side elevations. White rainwater down pipe on north elevation and soil vent pipes through south elevation.

Comment:

An attractive building with simply designed upper floors enhanced by the modelling in the brickwork but spoilt by the rather intrusive deep out of scale fascia, the lettering being more in keeping.

Importance: A/B

Included in previous survey.

1981 survey

150 High Street w