Town Survey Update 1998/2001….

High Street East: Sheet one

Building: 50: The Red House Photo: B1

History:

Grade II* listed building, dated 1686, with symmetrical 1: 7: 1 façade of two storeys with second floor in roof space.

Originally residential property, Dr. Fuller, pharmacist, 1688 to 1734, later Francis Austen and descendants.

Current Use:

knocker Foskett

Knocker & Foskett – solicitors

Description:

Red brick symmetrical elevation with recessed supporting wings on two storeys on either side. Flat arches of rubbed red headers over windows. Brick plinth and moulded stone band above ground floor windows.

Heavy projecting moulded modillioned cornice with concealed lead gutter and egg-and-dart moulding and carved and enriched console brackets. Modillioned cornice returned at sides of central feature. Steep, hipped tile roof with three flat-roofed leaded dormers containing square paned casements. Tall end brick stacks with connecting tiled stack ridges.

Supporting wings on either side with moulded plain modillioned eaves and gutter and hipped, tiled roof. Moulded stone band above ground floor windows and modillioned eaves at lower level than in centre.

Centre 18th century panelled single door, up two steps, with rectangular fanlight over with leaded tracery and panelled reveals and soffit to doorway. Slender fluted Doric columns on either side of door opening supporting entablature with flat modillioned cornice.

Sash windows with bars intact in moulded exposed frames with ornamental sunblind cases. Small brick moulded dressing around all window openings. Slit sash windows on both floors at either side of centre feature. Windows of centre feature closely spaced. Square sash windows in painted wooden reveals on first floor of supporting wings. Small quarter basement light to left of centre door with flat segmental brick arch over.

Ornamental 18th century cast iron railings, on brick plinth bordering High Street with ornamental carriage entrance gates to right and left. Railings and gates terminated at either end by brick piers surmounted by stone coping and cannon balls. Small gravel yard in front of building with returned 18th century brick side walls that to right with modern flat lintel arched opening. Modern natural hardwood nameboards and small floodlights at high level at front end of each wall.

Comment:

One of the most important and significant buildings in the town as its Grade II* listing indicates and generally well maintained and cared for.

A recent extension, part first floor, part ground floor, added to rear of right hand side, south east corner, in style and materials to match existing main building.

A superb, mature Horse Chestnut, Aesculus hippocastanum, in front right hand, south west, corner of the small gravel yard, protected by a Tree Preservation Order, makes a significant impact on both the building and on the adjacent street scene.

Importance: A+

Not included in previous survey.

Text copyright © The Sevenoaks Society, Picture© Cherry Moss