Town Survey Update 1998/2001

High Street East: Sheet three

Building: 52 Photo: B2

History:

Original building, on two floors, dates from 1839 when occupied by Giraud’s ‘a chymist and druggest’. Chemists were to occupy the building from 1839 to 1976.

Chemists – Giraud – 1839 to 1842

W M Marsh – 1842 to 1855

H Nangle – 1855 to 1891

E Pain – 1891 to 1908

Pain and Powell – 1908 to 1976

Pain lived above shop

Antiques/Travel – Galleon – 1976 to 1994

Interiors – Christopher Andrews – 1994 to 1998

Bay Tree Interiors – 1998 to 2000

Waterworld – 2000 to 2001

Current Use:

Jackson Stops

Jackson-Stops & Staff – estate agents

Victoria House Business Centre on upper floors.

Description:

Originally on two floors, basic construction as at present with two large oriel windows over shop, with front taken up as parapet. About 1900 another storey added, clad in tiles and two high gables built.

Ground floor symmetrical painted timber shop front with centre double doors framed each side by one double, one single width display windows enclosed by elegant pilasters and capitals on medium height panelled painted stall riser. Double windows divided in two by slim mullion. All surmounted by shallow splayed fascia. Single glazed timber door to right hand side gives access to upper floor accommodation.

First floor painted render with two elegant bay sash windows placed symmetrically over shop front with moulded flat cornice and narrow curved glass to windows at each side.

Second floor, later addition, hung with plain and fishtail tiles with two prominent dormers each with moulded bargeboards and plastered tympanium and six pane sash windows, two square, four rectangular, and sited over dormers on floor below.

Roof steep slate with clay tile ridge and brick chimneys at each end.

Comment:

An attractive building, the detailing of the first floor bay windows being especially fine.

Importance: B

Not included in previous survey.