Town Survey Update 1998/2001

High Street East: Sheet eight

Building(s): 64 and 66 Photo(s): E26 and E27

History:

Originally, No. 64 was a rendered brick building of two storeys, although possibly timber framed at one time, with tiled roof and laying back from street. Part No. 66 two storey plastered building with slate roof lying along street with small centre gable and adjoining another structure with rendered front wall and gable end roof facing over street; also possibly timber framed at one time. The old buildings were demolished and replaced in 1882/83 by the existing double fronted three storey buildings.

No. 64

Hatter, straw and bonnets – Brooks – 1839 to 1881

Reynolds – 1881 to 1883

Bootmaker – Freezer – 1886 to 1890

Gale – 1891 to 1901

Gale and Bromley – 1905/6

Russell and Bromley – 1937 moved to No. 98

No. 66

Tailor – Hooker – 1839 to 1881

Bonnet maker – Ellis – 1881 to 1883

Tailor and outfitter – Ingles – 1887 to 1888

Current Use:

FRANCIS JONES

No. 64 – Francis Jones – jeweller – from 1941

HORNCASTLE

No. 66 – Horncastles – from 1888

Description:

Late Victorian double fronted brick building, erected 1882/83, on three floors, each with symmetrical upper floors.

Ground floor, each have modern shop fronts with single entrance doors in centre set back from rear of pavement, and plain artificial stone full storey height pilasters to ends of party walls.

No. 64

Metal framed shop front with black medium height stall riser and blue projecting blind/canopy with ‘Francis Jones Jewellers’ in white lettering.

No. 66

Pale bamboo style timber display window frames to glazing with grey medium depth fascia and low stall riser, the former having ‘Horncastles’ in raised lettering in centre; striped pale gold blind with thin blue lines immediately below fascia.

First and second floors each have two pairs of sash windows to each building with flat brick soldier course lintels over each window and ‘Doric’ style pilasters on each side and between each pair of windows. The pairs of windows with framing pilasters continued up to roof parapet level of each building and capped with moulded brick pediment with herringbone pattern brickwork within the tympanium. Pilasters finished above second floor windows with flat brick soldier arches. Moulded brick string courses link capitals to ground floor windows, cills to all windows, capitals to first floor pilasters and as capping to roof level parapet. Stone/concrete cills to first floor windows supported by moulded brick corbels under each pilaster.

Roof concrete pantiles with ridge coping in red/brown tiles.

Comment:

Robust treatment, rather unsympathetic in detail spoilt by crude repairs.

Importance: B/C

Not included in previous survey.