Town Survey Update 1998/2001

High Street West: Sheet thirteen

Building: 67 Photo: A9

History:

Historically, the oldest bank in Sevenoaks, the site having been occupied by a bank since 1837. The present building was purpose built as a bank in 1874 to the design of the noted architect Frederick Chancellor. A modern rear extension in matching brickwork on an R.C./steel frame was added subsequently.

Bank – Surrey, Kent and Sussex Banking Co. – 1837 to 1839

London and County Bank – 1839 to 1909

London, City and Westminster Bank Limited – 1909 to 1918

London County Westminster Bank – 1918 to 1923

Westminster Bank – 1923 to 1954

At the foot of the page is a photograph from the 1981 survey.

Current Use:

67 high st A9

National Westminster Bank Plc. with offices above

Description:

One of the tallest buildings in the town, double fronted, on three storeys with projecting bays capped by triangular gables at roof level.

Ground floor, four bays, two wide, two narrow, set semi-symmetrically to left of main entrance doors and divided by square brick pilasters with stone capitals and bases. Four and two pane windows respectively in above bays and double moulded panel doors to right with fanlight over surrounded by moulded stone architraves and cills, the latter supported by stone brackets. Pilasters and aprons to windows supported by red/brown marble plinths to heights to suit pavement falls, those to the latter being splayed back from face of building. Narrow white lettered on black fascia with egg and dart moulded string courses across whole of frontage and over stone beams to windows and doors.

First floor, two slightly projecting brick bays set symmetrically in elevation each with two twenty pane sash windows set in moulded terracotta architrave surrounds and moulded stone cills. Red brick elevation capped by terracotta dentilled cornice/string course across whole of elevation.

Second floor, two slightly projecting brick bays set symmetrically in brick elevation over first floor bays, each with two sixteen pane sash windows set in moulded terracotta architraves, strong course and pair of recessed panels below each window. Single rectangular moulded brick recessed panels set vertically in brickwork at each end of elevation. Strong projecting moulded cornice with decorated entablature over windows caps second floor elevation. Cornice supports black painted gutter across whole elevation and returned at each end.

Roof, steeply pitched in grey/green Welsh slate tiles and main ridge with finials at each end and lead flashed hipped ridges. Strong projecting gables over each projecting bay to first and second floors with moulded terracotta cornice to match that below and decorative terracotta tile surround to circular white painted moulded timber windows in centre of each gable.

Comment:

A very tall and prominent building, shamelessly self-proclamatory, but has considerable dignity and architectural worth, with high quality materials and workmanship, the terracotta and brick detailing being of a very high standard. Another high quality town bank which is prominent without being overpowering, suggesting how a building of very high quality can go against the prevailing height limits.

Importance: A/B

Included in previous survey.

1981 survey

67 High Street w