Town Survey Update 1998/2001

High Street West: Sheet nineteen

Building: 73A Photo(s): A22

History:

With No. 73B, one of two single storey temporary buildings erected in 1901 following the demolition of the original No. 73, to the north of The Chequers Public House, and filling the gap between the High Street and the London Road. Originally built in timber with a corrugated iron roof.

Cycle shop – Heard – 1908 to 1911 (joined by Holloway cabinet maker in 1909)

Twiddy – 1912 to 1919

Sennocke Cycle and Cycle Car Works – 1920 to 1921

Tobacconist and confectioner – Smethurst and Sales – 1921 to 1941

Wine Merchant – Brown Jones – 1949 to 1955

– Tyler – 1956 to 1965

Vacuum Cleaners – Hoover Centre – 1965 to

Park Electric – to 1976

At the foot of the page is a photograph from the 1981 survey.

Current Use:

73A high st A22

Baldocks Menswear

Description:

Single storey lightweight timber and corrugated iron chalet, purpose built as shop or market stall.

Ground floor, timber shop front with single one pane glazed entrance door slightly offset to right and recessed between single pane display windows on low stall risers with solid infill panels within overall timber frame. Deep glazed fanlight, largely obscured by display fascia and full width of shop front under folding awning.

Roof, gabled end facing High Street with decorative moulded timber fascia and turned finial enclosing vertical boarded gable with single two light timber casement window in centre over deep lead flashed fascia.

Planning permission for redevelopment recently granted.

Comment:

Historically interesting, in form descended of older market stalls. Unknown whether built on site or brought from elsewhere. Untidy shop writing and goods on display outside but a cheerful untidy part of the street scene.

Importance: C

Included in previous survey.

1981 survey

73 High Street w