Town Survey Update 1998/2001

High Street West: Sheet twenty

Building: 73B Photo: A23


With No. 73A, one of two single storey temporary buildings erected in 1901 following the demolition of the original No. 73, to the north of The Chequers Public House, and filling the gap between the High Street and the London Road. Originally built in timber with a corrugated iron roof, later altered to a sloping roof in the same material. The 1909 and 1937 town maps show an alley or passage between 73B and 75 through from the High Street to the London Road, later absorbed into No. 73B.

Greengrocer – Cook – 1912 to 1914

Cycle shop – Sennocke Cycle and Cycle Car Works – 1914 to 1921

Greengrocer, fruiterer and florist – Quinnell – 1926 to 1975 +

Florist – Harmony Flowers – 1975 + to 1984

Car Radio and Telephones – Road Radio – 1984 to 1990’s

At the foot of the page is a photograph from the 1981 survey.

Current Use:

73B high st A23

Baldocks Menswear


Single storey lightweight timber and corrugated iron chalet, purpose built as shop or market stall.

Ground floor, timber shop front with single one pane glazed entrance door to right hand side and set flush to large single pane display window on medium height brick stall riser. Shop front spanned full width by deep vertical timber boarded fascia in timber frame and under lead flashed moulded timber coping. Top half of fascia covered by deep lettered display fascia.

Planning permission for redevelopment recently granted.


The ‘wild west’ false front hides a sloping metal lean-to roof and an added normal shop front. The building has a very limited formal interest and needs improvement, particularly the panel above the shop front. Another cheerful untidy part of the street scene, a relic of the old High Street of market stalls.

Importance: C

Included in previous survey.

1981 survey

73 High Street w