Town Survey Update 1998/2001

High Street West: Sheet twenty one

Building: 75 and 75A Photo: A24/D22

History:

Late 18th/early 19th century Grade II listed building on three storeys with three window façade on first and second floors with modern shop fronts on ground floor.

No. 75

Wool and Fancy Goods – Philpott – c. 1850 to 1881

Cycle Shop – Philpotts West Kent Cycle – 1881 to 1900

Newspaper Office – Sevenoaks Chronicle – 1901 to 1910

Dyer –Eastman – 1911 to 1947 on ground floor

Christian Science Reading Room – 1910 to 1916 – on upper floor

Rural Food Office – 1920 + – on upper floor

Campbell – 1945 to 1952

Ladies Wear – Copson – 1952 to 1968 +

Wool Shop – Baby Lamb – 1975

China Shop – 1980

No. 75A

Cycle Shop – Philpotts Cycle Warehouse – c. 1889 to 1905

Gas Showrooms – Sevenoaks Gas Showrooms – 1905 to 1910

Cornmerchant – Benge – 1912 to 1915

Cycle Shop and Tobacconist – Twiddy Cycles – 1916 to 1917

Cycle Shop – Sennocke Cycles Showroom – 1918 to 1920

Picture Frame Maker – Furniss – 1921 to 1925

Greengrocer – Cook – 1926 to 1927

Wireless Shop – Thompson and Fox – 1928 to 1930

Cycle Shop – Cyco Rado – 1931 to 1932

Newsagent – Carpenter – 1934 to 1957

– Sevenoaks Newsagency – 1962 to 1965

Fish Shop – Swinbourne – 1965 to 199 ?

Current Use:

75 75A high st A24

No. 75 – Baldocks Menswear

75 75A high st D22

No. 75A – The Town Barber

Description:

Three window painted brick façade on two upper floors with modern shop fronts on ground floor.

No. 75

Ground floor, moulded timber shop front with single entrance door in centre with fanlight over and single pane display windows on each side on medium height rendered stall risers. Deep lead flashed fascia slightly splayed outwards with larger lettering ‘Baldocks’.

No. 75A

Ground floor, modern dark metal shop front with single entrance door to right hand side with fanlight over. Main shop front, single pane display window over medium height rendered stall riser with medium deep dark fascia with decorative signage ‘The Town Barber’. Shop front covered by full width folding awning; small traditional barbers pole on wide rendered pier to right.

First floor, three square paned oblong French casements in recessed round headed brick panels, stucco trim linked horizontally at window head, arch springing level.

Second floor, three square sash windows with glazing bars, raised stucco trim links cills to end of right hand of elevation.

Roof, hipped Welsh slate roof with half round gutter on neat slightly raised fascia board. Four stack brick chimney on left end wall.

Comment:

The form of the building is quite strong, though spoilt by modern split shop fronts and rounded brick arches which might be improved if painted to match walls. Otherwise the building has some character. Early 19th century grooved pilastered frame with entablature over, noted on listing schedule, appears missing. Wirescape to be removed.

Importance: B

Not included in previous survey.