Town Survey Update 1998/2001

High Street West: Sheet twenty four

Building: 81 (and 81A) Photo: E30

History:

Originally two shops on north side of Butter Market, built as pair to timber framed shops on three storeys with an angled bay to each and dating from 1694, Jeremiah and Mary French and Edward Cartwright in occupation. Known as Bank Place in 1834 and had been an integral part of No. 10 London Road.

No. 81

Stationer and Bookseller – James Payne – 1834 to c. 1850

Bread and biscuit maker – Ritchie – c. 1850 to 1900

Butcher – Eastman – 1907 to 1924

Leonora ‘Modes’ – Weller – 1926 to 1927

Demolished and rebuilt as a single shop in 1930.

Fishmonger – Cattanach – 1930 to 1932

Fruiterer – King – 1934 to 1937

Newspaper office – Kent Messenger – 1937 to 1968 +

No. 81A

Draper, Hatter and Upholsterer – J Steer – c. 1834 to 1860 +

Ironmonger, incandescent lighting, bell hanger, locksmith, tin and electric plater and hire equipment (with No. 10 London Road) – Ellman – 1907 to 1930

Ladies fashions – Kath Copson – c. 1968 to 199 ?

– Philpot and Son Limited – 1947 to 2000 (on first floor only)

Current Use:

81 and 81A high st E30

Susanna

Description:

Single window façade under projecting gable on two storeys, tucked in behind Lloyds Bank at No. 83 High Street.

Ground floor, semi-symmetrical timber framed shop front with centre single entrance door splayed back from face of display windows on each side and having single pane below two panes and deeper two pane windows and single pane over door as fanlights. Shop fronts on medium/tall rendered stall risers, splayed back on left side to meet rear of No. 10 London Road and on right contained by brick party wall on edge of passage leading to The Shambles. Full width medium depth fascia with ‘Susanna’ lettering over left shop front above full width retractable striped awning above windows.

First floor, modern metal oriel window in centre with five tall panes, in one-three-one pattern, under seven part square fanlight windows, each with four panes, and moulded timber capping. Painted plain tiles on each side, returning at each end of elevation, and capped by tiled slope of roof. Half timbered gable end with rendered infill projects over oriel window and fixed pale grey awning with ‘Wells’ on right hand vertical face.

Comment:

The oriel and projecting gable theme again, the former has probably lost smaller square panes to lower windows which would have been more attractive. Painting of tile hanging unfortunate and should be replaced.

Importance: B/C

Not included in previous survey.