Town Survey Update 1998/2001

High Street West: Sheet twenty eight

Building (s): 87, 89, 91 and 93 Photo: A26/A27/A28

History:

Originally there was a single minor shamble behind Nos. 87 and 89 and from the rear of Nos. 91 to 93 there were two with a minor alley at right angles between them. The buildings around these were demolished and rebuilt in 1912 as a single block, one shamble remained as late as 1960’s.

The group, Nos. 87 to 93, were demolished again in 1969 together with their associated minor shambles and outbuildings and a block of modern buildings, part brick, part tile hung were erected in 1969, their pitched roofs being set at right angles to the line of the High Street, the gable ends aimed at matching those of the Lloyds building at No. 85. Access to the rear was from The Shambles. Understood to be in single ownership.

No. 87

When rebuilt in late 17th/early 18th century, similar to No. 85 with two bay windows with square glass panes and a roofed pillared porch between them under a decorated cornice. The upper floor was stuccoed to eaves level with two casement windows and a large fascia board marked ‘Printer and Bookbinder’.

Bootmaker – J Pett – 1848 to 1891 – Sargeant – 1891 to 1903

Stationery, photographic, toys – J Salmon Junior – 1903 to 1919

Printers – Caxton Press – 1919 to 1925

(J Salmon Junior)

Printing Order office – Caxton and Homesdale Press –

(J Salmon Junior) – 1925 to 1939

Vacant – 1939 to 1947

Bendora – trade unknown – 1947 to 1955

Kate Merry – trade unknown – 1949 to 1955

No. 87

Delicatessen – Howard – 1955 to 1969

No. 87A

Cleaners – Burtol – 1955 to 1956

Coffee Bar – La Cabana – 1956 to 1968

No. 89

About 1890 a three storey brick building with tall narrow oriels on first floor with very small glass panes, each having a decorative metal canopy. Upper sash windows were tall and stone framed and the shop at street level was double fronted with large glass frames. Previous history not known.

Watchmaker – Harrison – c. 1850 to 1881

– Barham – 1881 to 1901

Bootmaker – Peacock – 1901 to 1909

– Freeman, Hardy and Willis – 1909 to 1939

Outfitters – Harpers – 1947 to 1955

Fashion – Marilyn Fashions – 1955 to 1967

No. 91

Before 1867 with No. 93, a two storey brick building, rebuilt or raised to three storeys in 1875 with a slate roof.

Confectioner – Wigzell – c. 1850 to 1860

Newsagent – Relph – 1882 to 1891

Confectioner – Crisfield – 1891 to 1899

Dwelling/residence – 1899 to 1908

Drug Store – Dann’s – 1909 to 1947

Dentist – Finlayson – 1924 to 1947

Fishmonger – Marshall – 1950 to 1952

– Swinbourne – 1952 to 1969 (also at No. 93A – 1962 to 1969)

No. 93

Tailor and Hatter – Grainger – c. 1839 to 1881

Tobacconist – Bunting – 1881 to 1891

– Baker – 1891 to 1941

Coal Office – Rickett Cockrell – 1949 to 1952

Animal Food Stores – 1952 to 1960

Coal Merchants – Coral – 1960 to 1965

Travel Agents – The Travel Shop – 1965 to 1968

– Valle – 1969

Post 1969:

No. 87 – Abbey National Building Society

No. 89 – D & A Chemists, later in 1981 – Abbey National Building Society

No. 91 – Regal Carpets, later Honeycombe Health Foods

No. 93 – Cresta Ladies Wear, later Le Belle Femme Ladies wear

At the foot of the page is a photograph from the 1981 survey.

Current Use:

87 89 91 93 high st 1

No. 87 – Abbey National Building Society

No. 89 – Abbey National Building Society

87 89 91 93 high st 2

No. 91 – OXFAM

87 89 91 93 high st 3

No. 93 – QS – Quality Seconds family wear

Offices above on first and second floors

Description:

Three storey modern brick buildings erected in 1969 with two window elevations except for No. 93 which has three.

First floors, red rustic semi-faced brick panels, slightly recessed below each double hung metal sash windows with one brick wide projecting full two storey height nib on party cross walls between each unit and at each end of building.

Second floors, plain tile façade to each elevation including gable end to pitched roof at right angles to line of High Street and capped with precast concrete coping. Double hung metal sash windows set back from face of tiles.

No. 87/89

Ground floor, double fronted metal shop front with automatic double doors set back from pavement and to left side of No. 89 and single pane display window to right with similar on splay to doors. Two wide, two narrow, single pane display windows to No. 87 with matching single pane glazed fanlights over each display window. Windows set on low rendered stall rises tapered to suit falls in pavement levels and rendered party wall in centre and at each end of shop fronts. Framed panel fascia over with raised lettering ‘Abby National’ to each unit and moulded panel link between.

No. 91

Ground floor, single pane double doors set in centre of metal framed shop front with fanlight over and single pane display windows each side on low rendered stall risers tapered to suit falls in pavement levels. Single run of ten square window pane fanlight and folding striped awning over. Medium depth framed panel fascia with ‘OXFAM’ lettering in centre.

No. 93

Ground floor, single pane double doors set back from pavement in centre of metal framed shop front with fanlight over and single pane display windows each side on low rendered stall risers tapered to suit falls in pavement levels. Bold medium depth framed fascia, horizontal ribbed and bold square raised block in centre with raised ‘QS’ logo lettering and square projecting sign to left of fascia with raised ‘QS’ logo lettering. Solid sub-fascia over display windows set back from face of full fascia above.

Comment:

A bland, flat faced uninspiring group of modern buildings in reasonable condition, a single bay of which might have been able to merge with it’s neighbours but is far too big to achieve this and it’s architecture does not avoid duality. It also offers a poor façade to The Shambles to the rear, an opportunity missed. Recommend replacement with a better building.

Importance: C/D

Included in previous survey.

1981 survey

87 93 High Street 4