Town Survey Update 1998/2001

High Street West: Sheet thirty one/thirty two

Building: 95 Photo: A29

History:

Use not known before 1890, although a three storey building existed before this, the lower floor being in brick with a cornice over the fascia and the upper part of the wall facing the High Street being clad in weatherboarding which extended part way around the north elevation, the rear part of the building which was tile hung. In 1867, the front wall projected forward of the adjacent buildings. A cellar vent was cut in the front wall base and there were two parallel passages behind No. 95 (and No. 97) surrounding two old shamble buildings.

Around 1890, the building with the adjacent outbuildings and minor shambles were demolished and rebuilt in a similar form that exists now, only the rear having had minor alterations. In 1900/1901, Council minutes refer to the front of the building being altered to allow for road widening at this point.

Public House – The Oddfellows and Foresters Arms – 1891 to 1955

Wine Merchant – Victoria Wine – 1955 to early/mid 1970’s

Charity shop – Oxfam – early/mid 1970’s to 1995

Current Use:

95 high st A29

Mobile Phone Centre

Description:

One window façade on three storeys in familiar local style of brick with gable end and tile hanging.

Ground floor, single glazed entrance door to left with glazed fanlight over with main shop front to right in timber and medium sized rectangular glazed square panes curved/facetted into doorway on medium height glazed square tiled stall riser. Shop front enclosed in plain rendered pilasters at each end above tiled stall riser. Deep metal fascia with deep moulded cornice over and retractable awning over full width of shop front.

First floor, brick with three windows, slightly bowed, each window with fifteen small glass panes and a lozenge or hexagonal shaped pane in centre. Non illuminated projecting sign to left of windows.

Second floor, plain tile hung with three windows, slightly bowed, each window with twelve small glass panes and a similar lozenge or hexagonal shaped pane in centre of middle window only, tiling splayed outwards over first floor beneath.

Roof, plain tiles and ridge with projecting gable end having moulded bargeboards and cross member enclosing vertical black and white half timbering.

Comment:

The projecting base of the tiling is quite interesting but the fussiness of the bowed windows and the shop front, and especially the tiling to the latter, are unsatisfactory and could be simplified with advantage to appearance.

Importance: B/C

Not included in previous survey.