Town Survey Update 1998/2001

High Street West: Sheet thirty three/thirty four

Building (s): 97 and 97A Photo: A30

History:

Originally of timber framed construction, part of which remained in 1875 when a two storey building, rendered brick on ground floor, stucco on first floor, with two east facing windows set tight up against the eaves. The roof was tiled and steep. The double fronted shop of 1875, with small glass panes, was approached by high door step from the pavement, originally similar to Nos. 99 and 101. By 1895, the premises had been demolished and replaced by a three storey brick building with two oriel windows supported by wooden brackets on first floor and double hung sash windows on second.

No. 97

Stationer, newsagent and tobacconist – George White – 1891 to 1927

Cleaners and Dyers – Flinn and Son – 1927 to 1974

Confectioner and tobacconist – Maynards – 1975 +

No. 97A

Confectioner and tobacconist – Wright – 1928 to 1933

Reader – 1933 to 1934

Clark – 1935 to 1938

Goodwin – 1939 to 1945

Cook – 1947 to 1960

Maynards – 1962 to 1975 +

Building re-joined during Maynards’ time, date unknown

Current Use:

97 97A high st A30

Sevenoaks Chronicle (J H Proctor)

Description:

Three storey brick building with two window façade as rebuilt in 1895.

Ground floor, modern timber shop front with double entrance doors slightly off-centre right with glazed fanlight over and single pane full height display windows each side. Low rendered stall riser and moulded pilasters at each end of shop front. Retractable full width awning in two halves. Medium deep plastic fascia over with small painted ‘SEVENOAKS’ over large ‘CHRONICLE’ on left with J H Proctor to right – smaller versions of ‘SEVENOAKS CHRONICLE’ on each awning.

First floor, two timber oriel windows under lead flashed flat roof and each with four tall casements and two square top hung panes with one single pane in centre over. Wooden brackets referred to above concealed by ground floor fascia.

Second floor, two sash windows each with plain glass in centre and narrow panes each side and concrete cills and rubbed brick slightly arched lintels.

Roof, plain clay tiles and ridge with half round gutter on projecting timber eaves and round cast iron rainwater downpipe on left of elevation taken into grating across pavement.

Comment:

A modest building spoilt by very poor sign, shop front and decaying pointing and roof tiling, giving the whole building a tatty appearance. Doubts expressed about date of oriels since they do not seem to go with simple sash windows above and may have been added later.

Importance: B/C

Not included in previous survey.