Town Survey Update 1998/2001

High Street West: Sheet thirty nine

Building: 101 Photo: A33

History:

An important Grade II listed building on the prominent corner of the High Street and Dorset Street. As in No. 99, much of the 17th century building remains although little of the timber framing is exposed externally, the face having been covered by lightly incised stucco and the original overhanging jetties have been underbuilt on the eastern High Street elevation but were exposed on the north facing Dorset Street elevation during the renovations of 1989. Title deeds of 1702 and 1786 refer to it’s possible description as the ‘Messuage called the Principal Corner House next to ‘The King’s Arms’.

A passage between Nos. 99 and 101 High Street joined the minor shambles behind the buildings for a number of years until about 1875 when closed by a door and the passage passing to No. 101, remaining in use until 1930’s.

Sweet Shop – Hilders – 1859 to 1875

Clothing and Equipment, etc. – Sevenoaks Clothing Company – 1875 to 1891

Fruiterer – Carey – 1891 to 1900

Butcher – Kemp – 1908 to 1909

Woollatt – 1909 to 1918

Harrison – 1919 to 1920

Gower and White – 1924 to 1949

Malpass – 1951 to 1973

Gold and Silver Craftsman – Collins – 1973 to 1982

Vacant, falling into advanced state of disrepair and decay until renovation in 1989.

Current Use:

101 high st A33

Millest & Partners

Description:

Early 17th century timber framed building on two storeys with attic gable window facing north over Dorset Street and first floor over-sailing on north and east elevation.

Ground floor, modern moulded timber shop front in five bays of four full height single glazed display windows with single glazed timber entrance door in centre and small fanlight window over. Single full height display window on splay at corner with four bay full height display windows to Dorset Street. Display windows supported on medium height rendered stall riser with shallow timber fascia board full width over display windows to High Street and small lettering ‘101’, ‘Millest & Partners’ and ‘101’. Wooden panelled soffit to over-sailing jetted first floor.

First floor, stucco finish with single timber sash window over left hand display windows and another single timber sash window in centre of north elevation over ‘Millest & Partners’ lettering painted direct on stucco with ‘Estate Agents’ and ‘Chartered Surveyors’ each side of window.

Narrow single light vertical timber framed single window full height of ground and first floors at junction between Nos. 99 and 101 High Street.

Roof, plain clay tile and ridge with half round gutter on boxed timber eaves. Gable end to roof facing Dorset Street ends with plain timber bargeboard and single three light casement window in centre of stucco finish to gable.

Comment:

A building of great historic interest saved only after long period of neglect and imminent destruction by a sustained campaign for preservation and subsequently well converted to present use. The glazed link with No. 99 and vertical lettering ‘Millest & Partners’ perhaps does not work as well as intended, an illusion of the link between the two buildings.

The former occupation by butchers, from 1908 to 1973 may reflect continuity of use with The Shambles.

Further reference the monograph by Anthony Stoyel in the Sevenoaks Library Local Collection which inter alia discusses its origins as a 15th century (?) market stall.

Importance: A

Not included in previous survey.