Town Survey Update 1998/2001

High Street West: Sheet forty three

Building: 105 Photo(s): A35/F8

History:

Originally a two storey brick structure with an attractive three-sided flat-headed sash oriel on first floor and steep hipped ancient tiled roof; sub-divided into Nos. 105 and 105A until the latter was absorbed into the former in mid 1960’s and subsequently rebuilt as one property.

No. 105

Grocer – Chapel – 1829 to 1881

Greengrocer – Walter – 1881 to 1891

Ironmongers – Smith – 1891 to 1902

Usher – 1902 to 1910

Simmonds – 1912 to 1936

Fruiterer – Cole – 1930 to 195 ?

Staples – 195 ? to 1957 +

No. 105A

Grocer – Kay – 1930 to 1953

Taylor – 1953 to 1962

Moores – 1962 to 1965 +

At the foot of the page is a photograph from the 1981 survey.

Current Use:

105 high st A35

105 high st F8

Plaxtol Bakery

Description:

Two storey building on corner of High Street and Bank Street with short elevation facing east to High Street and dormer in roof over Bank Street (shop front changed since photographs).

Ground floor, moulded timber shop front with five bays facing High Street and double doors up two steps from pavement off centre to right. Four bay shop front on to Bank Street with single door set back to left hand side and single entrance door on external corner. Shop fronts single pane display windows set at rear edge of pavement with narrow single pane fanlights over each. Display windows set on panelled timber medium height stallrisers., stepped at pavement level to suit falls in Bank Street. Fluted columns with plain bases and capitals frame four panelled timber single door set back at left hand end of Bank Street elevation. Other doors single pane glazed. Lead flashed medium depth fascia supported by decorative dentils extend full width of shop front on both elevations. Large gold lettering ‘Take-away’, ‘Plaxtol’ and ‘Patisserie’ to High Street and ‘Plaxtol Bakery and Takeaway’ to Bank Street.

Single glazed door, full height glazed side panel and glazed fanlight over in timber frame under painted concrete lintel to separate side entrance to offices on upper floors to left hand end of Bank Street elevation.

First floor, brick facades with one pair clear glass horizontal pivot metal windows under narrow letterbox windows over right hand pair of display windows on ground floor High Street façade and two pairs of similar windows on Bank Street and placed slightly off centre right on elevation. All windows set close up under boxed eaves, that to High Street being lower than that to Bank Street. Brickwork and shop front fascia cantilevered out over corner shop entrance.

Roof, plain tile hipped roof with bonnet tiled hips, lead flashed ridge to flat roof at rear with half round gutter and rainwater downpipes taken down internally. Single dormer in centre of Bank Street elevation with two metal windows similar to those on floor below, tiled cheeks and division between windows under timber fascia to lead flashed roof.

Comment:

Good shop front, allowing views around corner but peculiar split levels to strong eaves line. Eaves to dormer heavy could be improved with being less so.

Importance: B

Included in previous survey.

1981 survey

105 High Street w