Town Survey Update 1998/2001

High Street West: Sheet forty five/six

Building: 107 Photo: A36

History:

Originally a timber framed building on two storeys with brick infilling to the timber framing on the ground floor and clad in weatherboard above with a metal casement on the first floor. A farrier’s forge until the late 19th C. Completely refurbished about 1889, the original tiled roof is the only one that remains on the High Street frontage. At one time the building was divided into two.

No. 107

Draper and Boot Maker – Marsh – 1880’s to 1921 (part of Sevenoaks Clothing Co.)

Footwear – Terry and Hoad – 1921 to 1923

Hoad – 1923 to date

Offices above – Chislehurst Mineral Water Co. – 1916 to 1930

No. 107A

Blacksmith – Humphrey – 1790 to 1889

Footwear – Red Boot Stores – 1889 to 1922 (part of Sevenoaks Clothing Co.)

At the foot of the page is a photograph from the 1981 survey.

Current Use:

107 high st A36

Hoads – now C F Hoad & Sons Limited

Description:

Two storey three window façade with modern shop front, refurbished in 1970’s and subsequently under original tiled floor.

Ground floor, lightly framed aluminium display windows in three bays, one to left wider than two of similar width on right, latter separated by single glazed aluminium framed entrance doors. Both doors set back from rear of pavement with right hand shop fronts on rear of pavement and in front of that to left. Single pane glazing on returns to doors, that to left has narrow glazed side panel and that on right has shallow granolithic or similar step. All shop fronts have low rendered stall risers that in centre being almost at pavement level. Medium to deep framed fascia over full width of frontage with lettering ‘C F Hoad & Sons’ with striped retractable awning in three sections under moulded lead flashed cornice.

First floor, three equally spaced timber casement windows, the left being six light, three square panes over three rectangles, the centre (currently) boarded up and that to right eight light splay bay with square and rectangular panes as on left, all with shallow centre and right hand windows.

Roof, plain clay tiles and ridge with half round gutter on discreet eaves board and asbestos cowl with lead stem and flashing on right hand side of roof slope.

Comment:

The bay/oriel window and opposite end windows are pleasant but the central, currently blanked off, window unsatisfactory and should be replaced to match the others. Not listed.

Importance: A/B

Included in previous survey.

1981 survey

107 High Street w