Town Survey Update 1998/2001

High Street West: Sheet forty nine

Building: 113, 115 and 117 Photo: D17

History:

Originally three narrow weatherboarded structures on two storeys plus an attic, the front wall being taken up as a common parapet. The shop bay windows on ground floor had casment windows above on first floor subsequently replaced by irregular bays. The three buildings were demolished in 1929 and replaced as a single shop unit in the same style as the adjoining inn with mock tudor framing, the three flat headed dormers being replaced by three dormers with single forward sloping roofs as at present.

No. 113

Grocer – Beak – 1848 to 1891

Butcher – Mann – 1891 to 1901

Dairy – St. Botolph’s Dairy – 1901 to 190 ? two unnamed dairymen – 190 ? to 1907

Restaurant – Miss. Norris – 1918 to 1929

Motor Engineer – Chatfield – 1929 to 1932

Sevenoaks Motors – 1932 to 1938

Footwear – Freeman Hardy and Willis – 1940 to 1990 +

No. 115

Dairy – St. Botolph’s Dairy – 1901 to 190 ? two unnamed dairymen – 190 ? to 1907

Restaurant – Miss. Norris – 1918 to 1929

Motor Engineer – Chatfield – 1929 to 1932

Sevenoaks Motors – 1932 to 1938

Footwear – Freeman Hardy and Willis – 1940 to 1990 +

No. 117

Second Hand Bookseller – Corke – c. 1891 to 1904

Corke – 1918 to 1929

Motor Engineer – Chatfield – 1929 to 1932

Sevenoaks Motors – 1932 to 1938

At the foot of the page is a photograph from the 1981 survey.

Current Use:

113 115 117 high st D17

Woolwich Building Society plc

Description:

Three window façade on two storeys with accommodation in attic and erected on rebuilding in 1929 as a single unit in mock tudor style.

Ground floor, timber framed shop front divided in three bays with centre bay slightly wider than those on each side. Full height display windows, divided equally in three to each side with medium height panelled stall risers and framed by ‘Doric’ style pilasters and heads. Shop fronts set at rear of pavement. Centre bay with single glazed entrance door with glazing bars over moulded panel on right hand side with ATM in solid timber panel on left and both set back from rear of pavement.

Both timber entrance door and ATM framed by ‘Doric’ style pilasters each side and lintel over. Full shop front width medium height fascia over with ‘THE WOOLWICH’ in white lettering in centre on blue ground restyled from photograph; street numbers omitted. Brick piers flanking shop front have small decorative tiled and ridge gables on brick corbelled out at fascia level.

First floor, half timbered framed façade with stucco infill and three heavy timber framed and mullioned windows in two-three-two casement lights, centre window with splayed bays/oriel and lead flashed roof; all windows with rectangular leaded lights. Timber stud framing on each side of centre window curved up from cills of outer windows to head of centre. Horizontal timber stud links cills of windows forming shallow stucco panels between cills and fascia below. Restyled non-illuminated hanging sign between centre/right windows.

Roof, plain clay tile and ridge, with three tiled sloping roof dormers in line with those below and with lead cheeks and flashings, diamond leaded lights with curved heads. Half round cast iron gutter carried on rafter feet. Brick chimney stack at each end of roof of building with single corbelled capping six courses high.

Comment:

A building of some character and merit which appears to be part of a family including No. 125 and the buildings to the north and while divorced from them the scale and design of the first floor, especially the half timbering focusing on the oriel centre window, makes a stucco/timber design reflective to the street scene. The shop front ends with tile creasing are good.

Importance: B

Included in previous survey.

1981 survey

117 High Street w