Town Survey Update 1998/2001

High Street West: Sheet fifty one/two

Building: 119 Photo: D16

History:

In mid 19th century, about 1865, a two storey building with a weatherboarded front set well forward of the adjacent properties and taken up as a parapet in the front. The double fronted shop was fitted with the very small panes of the period. Demolished in early 1900’s and rebuilt in brick to a full three storey structure with tile hung bays on first and second floors and a gable at its head, similar to today although June 1981 photograph for Nos. 113/117 High Street indicates rebuilding in progress.

Leather and Harness – Gandy – 1860’s to 1882

Brown – 1882 to 1905

Saddlers – two different firms occupied shop – 1906 to 1910

Library and Books – Dolton – 1911 to 1919

Fine Art – Lewin – 1920 to 1949

Baby Goods and Services – Mother and Baby – 1949 to 1966

Gentlemen’s Outfitters – Walker (Arthur) – 1966 to 1980

Jewellers – Dennis Collins – 1981 to 1990 ?

Current Use:

119 high st D16

Especially Health on two floors with flat over.

Description:

One window façade on three storeys under prominent flat gable and set well forward of adjacent properties.

Ground floor, timber shop front with single glazed entrance door with narrow glazed side panels in centre set back from rear of pavement. Two double display windows on one metre high polished mahogany stall riser, with panels in bold mouldings to each window and window return to entrance door. Lower panels in mahogany to door match lower panels to windows. Above one metre high windows, a recessed infill of mahogany. Flank piers to shop front rendered and painted. Overall height of deep fascia reduced by horizontal division approximately one third above main fascia with large but elegant lettering ‘Especially Health’ in centre. Fascia framed and flashed with lead.

First and second floors, with stucco finish projecting forward from adjacent facades and four light bay windows to each floor with plain tile hanging between floors. Both bay windows have opening top lights and side casements with glazing bars, forming square panes to first floor and rectangular to second. Tiles lead flashed under second floor cill.

Roof, plain tile and ridge with large but simple gable framed in timber with stucco infill and projecting forward of main façade immediately over top of second floor bay.

Comment:

The theme of oriels and projecting gables persists but here the proportions are ungainly, especially the bold gable. Although the windows panes to the first floor appear a little crushed under the tile hanging, the small panes to the upper windows help to keep the scale of the adjoining buildings. However, the building is still reasonably acceptable but it might help its appearance to replace the tile hanging with render.

Importance: B/C

Included in previous survey but with no photograph.