Town Survey Update 1998/2001

High Street West: Sheet fifty five

Building: 123 Photo: D14

History:

Originally the same height as No. 121 but still retained its weatherboard cladding in 1865. Completely rebuilt in 1932 in brick and raised another storey as at present. At one time, many years ago, Nos. 119 to 123 were one dwelling and it is recorded that the top room was used for cock fighting. As indicated under No. 121, there was a gate archway between the two leading to Pett’s Yard behind.

China and glass – Nicholas How – 1852 to 1891

Building and undertaker – Nicholas How – 1881 to 1891

Fancy depository – Johnson – 1891 to 1901

Draper – Jones – 1901 to 1905

Carpenter and undertaker – Pett – 1905 to 1912

Cleaners (with Pett) – Chambers – 1906 to 1912

Draper – Jones – 1914 to 1930

Restaurant – Barry – from 1933

Florists – Craze various times

Fine Art – Lewin – to 1951

Ladies wear – Dorothy Perkins – 1958 to

Cameras – County Cameras – to 1995 + (see photograph D14)

At the foot of the page is a photograph from the 1981 survey.

Current Use:

123 high st D14

Fielders Photographic – flats above

Description:

Single window façade on three storeys under prominent tiled gable.

Ground floor, full height single pane frameless display windows on each side of centre single pane glazed entrance door set back from rear of pavement. Display windows set on low kerb height plinth and within metal framework to metal lattice security screens. Medium depth full width fascia over shop front and full width folding awning. Shop front flanked on each side by two brick wide fair-faced brick piers with corbelled brickwork to decorative tile and ridge miniature gables at level of fascia and reflecting similar flank details to No. 127.

First and second floors, each have four light splayed bay windows in stained timber frames with matching stained timber panels between and containing decorative panels in centre. Each window with eighteen square paved leaded lights, single casements on each side of two fanlight windows in centre.

Roof, plain tiled, ridge and gable end, with eaves below gable.

Comment:

A 1930’s building with the familiar oriel and tiled projecting gable, pleasantly detailed to reflect Nos. 127 and 133 in the street scene. The oriel proportions are similar to No. 119, but the building relationships work better here because of the reduced size of the upper gable, the decorative lozenge and the tile creasing to the gable and corbel.

The north elevation facing Brewery Lane is reasonable but would be improved by the removal of the over large side fascia and the simplification/straightening of the rainwater pipe run. An above average building.

Importance: B/C

Included in previous survey.

1981 survey

123 High Street w