Town Survey Update 1998/2001

High Street West: Sheet fifty seven

Building: 125 Photo: D12

History:

Until 1928 the shop development of the town ended on the south side of Brewery Lane to the north of which was a massive ragstone wall which surrounded the grounds of Bligh’s Hotel. In 1928 , this ragstone wall, between Bligh’s Hotel on the High Street, and Brewery Lane, was demolished to make way for the erection of two blocks of two storey mock tudor panelled buildings. A small section of the ragstone wall remained at the west end of Brewery Lane until it was finally pulled down to make way for the 1999/2000 redevelopment of Bligh’s Meadow.

Auctioneers and estate agents – Ibbett Mosely Card – 1931 to date

Photographer – Morrell Campbell – sharing 1934 to c. 1951

At the foot of the page is a photograph from the 1981 survey.

Current Use:

125 high st D12

Ibbett Mosely

Description:

Three window façade on two storeys with prominent timber framed gable projecting over centre of elevation.

Ground floor, semi-symmetrical elevation with three bay full height timber framed display window in centre of brick wall and stone plinth brought forward under centre gable. Fixed light display windows with fanlights over on raised stone kerb. To left a single window with rectangular leaded lights in stained dark oak timber frame with sandstone heads, quoins and cills on low sandstone plinth. Left hand corner splayed into Brewery Lane with corbelled brickwork to first floor level on splayed brick and stonework. To right and north of centre section a heavy stained oak single entrance door with moulded sandstone surround and segmented arch, the voussoirs and keystone being pronounced in design.

First floor, gable section of stucco between timber framing projecting forward of brick building with four light stained oak window containing octagonal lights and small connecting diamond panes, two central light bay splayed back on bold moulded bracket boarding. Two light windows to either side of gable front with rectangular leaded lights in stained oak frames and sandstone heads, quoins and cills.

Roof, prominent gable of stucco between timber framing projecting forward over ground and first floors central section against a pitched clay tiled roof with hipped ends and hipped tiles, supported on bold stained oak brackets. Rectangular cast iron rainwater downpipes to left of projecting section and to right of entrance door.

Rectangular display boards on ground floor on each side of main display windows and on splayed brickwork into Brewery Lane. Wrought iron projecting bracket on north gable member with modern version on south gable member and agents name in projecting lettering on lower horizontal member of gable, over main display window.

Comment:

A separate but bolder design treatment than to Nos. 127 to 133 although reflecting the scale detail of this area. This is a 1930’s building of much character and is the best of the 1930’s mock tudor rebuilding. It is said to have been built for the present occupiers with a first floor auction room.

There is the expected oriel window, the overhanging gable and half timbering, the brick and sandstone elevations being dominated by the projecting half timbered first floor. There are some very nice details, the corbels, the corner cut-off, the oriel fenestration and the stone door surround.

Importance: B

Included in previous survey.

1981 survey

125 High Street w