Town Survey Update 1998/2001

High Street West: Sheet sixty three

Building(s): 137, 139 and 141 Photo(s): D5, D6, D7, D8 and D9

History:

Following the demolition of St. Botolph’s Dairy and the closure of the farming operations in 1919 to 1920, the remaining land to the north of Bligh’s Road was cleared by 1930 to 1934 to allow for the erection of further shops at Nos. 137 to 141. These were brick built with mock Tudor gables of a similar character to others in the High Street to the south.

No. 137

Department Store – The Co-Operative Society – 1930 to 1981 + later South Suburban Co-Operative Society

Ladies Fashions – Dorothy Perkins (part) – 1981 + to date

Charity Shop – Cancer Research (part) – 1981 + to date

Pharmacists – Superdrug (part) – 1981 + to 1995 +

Travel Agents – Travel Choice (part) – 1995 + to date

No. 139

Electrician and Wireless – Strange Electric – 1930 to 1975 +

Café – Acorn Café (first floor) – 1933 to 1975 +

Radio – Hifi Radio – 1975 + to 1995

Drapery – Sew Easy – 1995 to 1998

No. 141

Dry Cleaners – Pioneer – 1934 to 1935

Speedway – 1935 to 1957

Castle – 1960 to 1980

Drapery – Linen House – 1980 to 1998

At the foot of the page is a photograph from the 1981 survey.

Current Use:

137139 141 high st D7

137139 141 high st D8

No. 137 Dorothy Perkins and Burtons, Cancer Research, First Choice

137139 141 high st D6

No. 139 J D Wetherspoons – Free House

137139 141 high st D5

No. 141 J D Wetherspoons – The Sennockian

Description:

As will be seen from the History section above, these three buildings have been sub-divided into several separate and various units over the years, currently four. Several have changed since original photographs.

Designed as one building on two storeys in the familiar mock tudor style with prominent projecting gables, one to No. 137 at High Street/Bligh’s Road junction, one at centre of High Street frontage to No. 137 and one over No. 141. The first being at an angle of 45 degrees to the High Street and supported on robust timber brackets, the front face of the other two being in line and above the rear edge of the pavement with the remaining front elevations of the rest of the frontage set back between them.

The roof to the whole building and all gables being plain clay tiles and ridges with half round gutters and rainwater downpipes taken down on each side of each gable. Tall brick chimneys each with heavy, seven course, brick copings and recesses in brick to each face, are located to right of centre gable and above party wall between Nos. 137 and 139.

First floor, whole building timber framed with stucco and rectangular lead paned timber framed casement windows above cill level with solid stucco infill throughout below and raised hexagonal stucco panels on each side of oriel window to right of No. 137. Gable to No. 137 at the road junction has 2: 3: 2 light double height casement windows with hexagonal and square leaded panes, the centre gable to No. 137 has a three light timber framed casement with fanlight in centre and the gable to No. 141 has 1: 2: 1 light casement oriel window with fanlights in centre. A further 1: 2: 1 light oriel window is located over right hand part of No. 137 and has fanlights in centre. Pairs of two casement windows are located between gables, each with single fanlight.

No. 137

Ground floor, two leaf door height glazed sliding entrance doors on Bligh’s Road/High Street corner set back parallel to the latter with solid white painted deep lintel over and narrow full height display window to left and another with a solid panel to right between right hand jamb of entrance door and rear of pavement. Entrance framed by wide brick piers supporting first floor gable, set at 45 degrees and corbelled out with bricks and tiles as fascia level and capped with miniature ridge gables. Entrance doors slightly raised to suit levels of adjacent pavements to Bligh’s Road and High Street with single step up from the latter.

Two full height display shop front windows to High Street in light white painted timber frame, enclosed by brick piers/party walls and set on medium height brick stall riser. Medium height fascia over display window and main entrance and at 45 degrees between corbelled piers with ‘DOROTHY PERKINS’ over the latter and ‘BURTON’ over window.

No. 137

Ground floor, simple white framed metal shop front with single pane full height display windows on each side of double entrance doors in centre with fanlight over and all set on low tiled kerb to suit levels at rear of pavement. Medium deep framed plastic sub-fascia with ‘Cancer Research’ in white in centre and all below level of continuous medium depth fascia to all shops.

No. 137

Ground floor, light blue painted metal framed double fronted shop front with full height display windows, divided in two in right hand bay and to right half of left hand bay, all on low brick stall riser/kerb at levels to suit rear of pavement. Single glazed entrance door set back in centre and slightly raised from rear of pavement to left of left hand bay with fanlight over and full height single pane display windows on each side and on return to rear of pavement. Medium depth sub-fascia full width of double shop front, framed and painted with ‘FIRST CHOICE’ lettering to left half of left hand bay. Medium depth main fascia continues over full width of shop front.

No. 139/141

Ground floor, recently refurbished dark stained timber framed double fronted shop front with double doors each side of No. 139, the left hand pair fixed and the right hand pair set at rear of pavement; double doors to No 141 to left hand and single door to right, both set back slightly splayed from rear of pavement. All doors panelled below cill level with etched lines around single glass panes above and brass handles to opening doors to right of No. 139 and left of No. 141.

Framed centre panels between doors to both shop fronts with etched lines to glass panes, divide in two, above timber panelling to match doors with cast iron ornamental protective screen outside of lower quarter to half of windows. All windows and doors with matching deep glazed fanlights over.

Both shop fronts with lead flashed full width medium depth framed black glazed fascias, slightly splayed out, with gold lettering ‘J D Wetherspoon – Free House’ to No. 139 and ‘The Sennockian’ to No. 141. Fascia to No. 139 has plain timber sub-fascia below and planted window boxes above and fascia to No. 141 set slightly lower to allow for oriel window above.

Shop front to No. 141 framed by wide brick piers corbelled out with bricks and tiles at fascia level and capped with miniature ridge gables, this feature appears to have been lost from the brick pier to the left of No. 139. Brick piers at each end and between shop fronts each have ornamental copper lanterns, hanging floral baskets and public house detail notices.

Comment:

The tile creased shop front ends seem to be from the same stable as those for Nos. 123 to 133 High Street although the half timbering becomes a little overplayed towards the north. The corner turning gable and oriel is effective but the open space and brick piers below, less so. The bare exposed walling and the paving seem to be missed opportunities. Some of the shop fronts are fairly poor, that for the new public house, Nos. 139 and 141, rather dark and heavy in treatment.

Importance: B/C

Included in previous survey.

1981 survey

137 High Street w

139 141 High Street w