Town Survey Update 1998/2001

London Road East: Sheet one

Building: 4 Photo: B8

History:

Single fronted two storey, part brick part tiled by 1850, modified by 1895 and rebuilt in 1900 in brick with stone capped parapet; further modified in 1937.

Ironmonger – Arnold in 1842

Fruit shop – Perry in 1891

Cycle shop – Sevenoaks Singer Company in 1901

Grocery and provisions – Ellman from 1903 to 1907 when Mr. Stevens took over to be followed by Uridge’s which changed to household goods and chattels in 1935 to 1941. Quinnell sold fruit and vegetable from 1949 with no. 73b in the High Street.

ABC Recruitment (nannies, mother’s help)

At the foot of the page is a photograph from the 1981 survey.

Current Use:

4 london rd B8

Elizabeth Henry Nannies

Description:

Early 20th century on two storeys, probably an unfortunate infill. Brick wing walls, pebble dash gable end – no fenestration in cement rendered exposed (north) side wall. Shop front, whole building used as offices. Ground and first floor windows extend whole width of narrow frontage between wing walls, the first floor window having semi-circular central portion intruding into pebble dash gable end, windows having unfortunate glazing divisions.

Slate roof to gable end with mean barge boards and detailing.

Comment:

Fenestration incompatible with surrounding buildings and divorced in character from them. No architectural merit or charm, but not offensive in complex part of townscape. (Every attempt should be made to demolish it as soon as possible).

The adjacent 16th century building is part of the Chequers Public House.

Importance: D

Included in previous survey.

1981 survey

4 London Road w