Town Survey Update 1998/2001

London Road East: Sheet two

Building: 6 Photo: B9

History:

Late 18th century Grade II listed, refaced and parapet formed in 1900, rendered in 1937.

Ironmonger – Deane in 1841

China, cutlery, grocery and confectionery – Ellman from 1881

Stevens took over in 1901 handing on to Uridge in 1908 to 1930 and again from 1935 to 1949.

Curtain Scene.

At the foot of the page is a photograph from the 1981 survey.

Current Use:

6 london rd B9

Café Uno part at no. 8.

Description:

Two storey rendered façade with precast concrete capped parapet and moulded entablature band at gutter level and shallow flat pilasters at each end. Ground floor has three former sash windows under flat segmental brick arches with key stone and lightly raised panel under windows. Windows now filled in, date unknown. First floor has three similar spaced sash windows with similar detailed flat segmental brick arches, key stones, concrete/stone cills with slightly raised panels under windows and string band at first floor level above ground floor windows.

Roof plain clay tiles with metal flashing at ridge.

Southern, RHS, exposed elevation also tile hung on first floor level with rendered wall with window and door to ground floor.

Comment:

Rather bland rear elevation forming essential part of group with no. 8.

Importance: A

Included in previous survey linked with no. 8, also listed.

1981 survey

6 London Road w