Town Survey Update 1998/2001

London Road East: Sheet three

Building: 8 Photos: B10

History:

Built late 18th century, Grade II listed.

Prior to the 1850’s included nos. 77 and 79 High Street in single timber frame but shown in 1867 as separate buildings, main structure remaining very similar to original.

Ironmonger – Bowra from 1771 to 1842

Grocers – Ives then Chapman to 1881

Grocer and provisions – Ellman 1881 to 1891 when Stevens took over, handing on to Uridge in 1908.

Uridge remained until 1962 when Stevenson and Rush took over Oakshotts ran the business in 1975 and were followed by Window Scene selling fabrics and soft furnishings, subsequently incorporating a restaurant (see photograph B10).

At the foot of the page is a photograph from the 1981 survey.

Current Use:

8 london rd B10

Café Uno with no. 6.

Description:

Late 18th century on two floors with further accommodation in deep half hipped mansard tiled roof. First floor painted tiles with three Georgian double hung sash windows in moulded surrounds, each window divided into twelve glazing squares. The storeys divided by deep, strong horizontal shop fascia. Ground floor rendered with recently added casement windows of same size under first floor windows, but with two vertical glazing bars. A fourth window later added to extreme left hand corner.

Roof, clay tiles to half hipped mansard with three later casement dormer windows, to match those on first floor, with flat lead flashed tops and cheeks and heavy brick chimney stack to right.

Upper floors and roof to side and rear elevations similar in treatment but only two dormers to the latter. New shop fronts to side and rear elevations for Café Uno.

Comment:

Fits very comfortably into immediate surroundings, no improvements needed. In good condition and must be retained.

Importance: A

Included in previous survey linked with no. 6, also listed.

1981 survey

8 London Road w

6 London Road w