Town Survey Update 1998/2001

London Road East: Sheet five

Building: 12 Photo: B12

History:

Original building built early 19th century but has been rebuilt subsequently with modern architectural variants.

Baker – Keeys in 1850 followed by Constable in 1865 when it was understood to have a cellar used as an underground bakehouse, flooded in 1882.

Bakery and restaurant – Ellman in 1886 with occupation of nos. 6, 8 and 10 until Hill’s Climax Bakery took over in 1901.

Grocer and confectioner – Stevens from 1902 to 1907 when Uridge took over as confectioner until replaced by Seabrook, probably Uridge’s manager, from 1910 to 1928 as baker confectioner. Wheeler another baker from 1924 to 1938 when the White Heater Café opened in 1940 to 1968.

Southern Rentals TV were in occupation by 1975.

At the foot of the page is a photograph from the 1981 survey.

Current Use:

12 london rd B12

Bradford and Bingley Building Society.

Description:

Two storeys plus one in roof. Front wall painted stucco with two modern large angled bay windows with metal frames and leaded lights and flat lead covered roofs. Flat stucco cornice band and moulded parapet gutter similar to no. 10. Ground floor modern shop window in brick piers and medium deep flat fascia.

Plain tile roof with metal flashing at steeper pitch than adjoining roof of no. 10 leaving small quadrant vertical tiles between two roofs. Two modern large dormer casement windows metal frames and leaded lights with moulded heads and flat lead roofs. Relationship with roofs of adjacent properties not entirely satisfactory.

This building together with no. 10 has been rebuilt and masks an older gabled structure to the rear facing Dorset Street.

Comment:

Slightly top heavy fenestration and a little out of character with adjacent buildings but fits quite successfully in the street scene. No improvements required, in good condition and should be retained.

Importance: A/B

Included in previous survey

1981 survey

12 London Road w