Town Survey Update 1998/2001

London Road East: Sheet eight

Building: 20 Photos: B15 and F24

History:

Built 18th century, Grade II listed.

Butcher – Sutton, earliest recorded date unknown.

T George in 1851 for over 50 years.

Edwards in 1887, later at no. 47 London Road, also of St. John’s.

Fishmongers – Dunn from 1901 to 1906, followed briefly by Walter Thain from 1907 to 1909.

Butcher – Luck and Son 1910 to about 1960

Skinner to 1995

At the foot of the page is a photograph from the 1981 survey.

Current Use:

20 london rd B15

20 london rd F24

Previously Butcher – Williamson – currently vacant

Description:

Tall narrow building of two storeys with use of attic roof space and two storey modern rear extension.

Main building stuccoed and whitened over brick and stone on ground floor, tile hung also painted on first floor which has single sash window on road elevation.

In 1860’s northern wall supported by side addition bay, probably remnant of a jetty supported by a dragon beam. In 1920’s first floor supported by three iron posts on side elevation underbuilt in 1960’s when forward facing dormer removed. Ground floor metal display shop windows with single door opening to front and side elevations and square tiled stall risers, panelled boarded shutters and projecting flat canopy supported on four timber posts and sun-blind case over on road frontage. Medium deep splayed fascia.

Roof half-hipped clay tiled mansard and ridges with small casement dormer over door and adjacent to chimney on north elevation.

Rear modern extension on two floors under flat roof. First floor faced with plain clay tiles with two white painted casement windows. Ground floor painted stucco with large white painted timber display window with sun-blind over and single door to RHS.

Comment:

Small attractive building, worthy of preservation, particularly in relation to the adjacent Shambles.

Importance: A

Included in previous survey

1981 survey

20 London Road w