Town Survey Update 1998/2001

London Road East: Sheet twelve

Buildings: 28 and 30 Photos: B20 and B21

History:

18th or early 19th century Grade II listed buildings on three floors forming a group of similar listed buildings or Architectural and Historic Interest in Bank Street.

No. 28

Local Registration Office – pre 1891 to 1922

Café – Well’s Café – 1922 to 1926

The Little Café – 1926 to 1930

Tudor Arts and Crafts – 1930 to 1937

Dressmaker – Elland – 1937 to 1938

Café – Bay Tree Café – 1938 to 1947

Dental Mechanic later Millinery – 1947 to past 1962

Specialist Interiors – 1981

Antiques – Gem Antiques (see photograph B20)

No. 30

Saddler – Taylor – 1889 to 1901

The Watch Company – 1903 to 1920

Picture Framers – Walters – 1920 to 1929, moving to no. 45

Books and Stationery – Arthur Nye – 1929 to 1938

Furrier – A R Davis – 1939 to mid 1990’s

Computer Centre – 1995 to 1998

At the foot of the page is a photograph from the 1981 survey.

Current Use:

28 30 london rd B20

No. 28 – Dr. Wang and Pharmacy – The Traditional Chinese Herbs & Health Clinic

28 30 london rd B21

No. 30 – The Flowersmith

Both the above currently use the upper floors for storage. No. 28 currently applying to use first floor for consultation and treatment.

Description:

On three floors with shop fronts on ground floors.

No. 28 has hardwood frame, single door on LHS and shop front divided into small panes, some glazed with Crown glass, over brick stall riser with central glazed panel. Deep painted fascia, over blind box and blank open blind, reading ‘Dr. Wang and Pharmacy’.

No. 30 has painted timber shop front in ‘classical’ style and single entrance door on 45 degree splay between London Road and Bank Street, plywood stall riser under the display window divided by central mullion with continuous metal grille over. Painted timber fascia panels with brackets supporting cornice and blind box over window. Return on Bank Street has similar shop front and display window.

First and second floors with four sash windows each, set in panels between flat stucco pilasters carried up to eaves entablature; oblong windows on first floor, square windows on second floor. Upper floors on return to Bank Street, blank except for twelve and six pane sash windows at rear on first and second floors respectively and painted advertisement on raised panel at front of second floor.

Projecting eaves and gutter to hipped tile roof.

Comment:

Corner entrance to no. 30 complements that to the Anchor PH across Bank Street. The buildings, particularly the upper floors contribute an interesting note of variety to the street scene and although they are potentially quite elegant, most people’s attention is concentrated on the window displays rather than the buildings.

Importance: A/B

Included in previous survey.

1981 survey

28 30 London Road w