Town Survey Update 1998/2001

London Road East: Sheet sixteen

Buildings: 40 and 42 Photo: B24

History:

Grade II listed building, early 19th century front elevation masks older framed interior structure and recently refurbished (2001) replacing yellow brick and deep, bright orange fascia, shown on photograph B24, with plain clay tiling brought down to head of display windows.

No. 40

Carriers – 1891 to 1901

Fruiterer – 1901 to 1920

Dry cleaners – 1920 to 1941

No. 42

Plumber – 1839 to 1901

Cyclist and plumber – 1921 to 1923

Greengrocer – 1934 to 1955

Hardware shop – 1922 to 1955 – Wg.Cmd. Rayner Baker

Current Use:

40 42 london rd B24

The Hardware Centre, with nos. 36 and 38, and no. 43.

Description:

On two floors under ridge mansard clay tiled roof, half hipped to LHS with centre rendered chimney stack. Two flat roofed, leaded dormers and projecting moulded eaves and gutter.

Ground floor, simple timber framed display windows with mini-fanlights over, glazed with stained glass except for wrought iron grille over single door to RHS. Display windows on low white painted stall riser and pilasters at junction of earlier buildings and right hand end of façade. Display windows returns on LHS (north) elevation for single bay as road elevation with white painted brickwork on remainder.

First floor, three widely spaced white painted timber sash windows with glazing bars. Return on LHS (north) plain clay tile hung on first and second floors with single large casement window on each floor and single small casement on first floor.

Comment:

With numbers 36 and 38 form an attractive part of the street scene which should be preserved; much improved by removal of deep, bright orange fascia, shown in photograph B24, during recent refurbishment.

Importance: A/B

Listed but not included in previous survey.