Town Survey Update 1998/2001

London Road East: Sheet eighteen

Building: 46 Photo: B26

History:

Grade III (locally listed) building, early 19th century.

Coachbuilder and harness maker – Henry Arrow – 1839 to 1845

Coachbuilder, wheelwright and smith – Simmonds – 1845 to 1860

Caslake – 1860 to 1880

Coachbuilder – Heley – 1880 to 1916

Sale and maintenance of early cars, etc. – Heley 1901 to 1904

Builder – William Daws – 1920 to 1980

Charity shop, Sevenoaks Carpet Company and a delicatessen from 1980

Current Use:

46 london rd B26

Ground floor – Amherst Accountancy (part), Daisywheel Office Services (part)

First floor – offices – Amherst Accountancy

Description:

Off white painted render on two floors with ground floor recessed in three equal bays.

Ground floor recessed approximately 1.2 m with double doors with glazed side panels in LHS bay, display window divided two thirds/one third and single door on RHS in timber frame painted with fanlight over. Low rendered and painted stall riser. Medium depth fascia (approximately 600 mm) over painted plain mauve and projecting beam over.

First floor with 1.2.1 window façade, two centre windows, pilasters on each front corner and string band below cill slightly projecting, the latter being carried round on south elevation. Four widely spaced white painted sash windows, the two in centre having slightly raised roundels over each and centre recess between.

Roof behind rendered parapet with stone/pc coping and string band at eaves level.

Comment:

Plain and in poor condition with awkward pillars carrying overhanging upper storey, but basically attractive and should be retained. Prominent ‘wirescape’ should be removed.

Importance: B

Not included in previous survey.