Town Survey Update 1998/2001

London Road East: Sheet nineteen

Building: 48 Photo: B27

History:

Grade II listed 18th century building on two floors.

Wheelwright – 1830’s

Coachbuilder – ? Henry Arrow – 1838 – ? Heley – 1891

Plumber – 1901 to 1924

Builder – William Daws – 1924 to 1980

Property managers and surveyors on ground floor – 1980 to 2001 – Ashdens (see photograph B27)

Current Use:

48 london rd B27

Sevenoaks Business Services with office suites on first floor.

Description:

On two floors with painted boarded elevations grooved in imitation of stone courses and boarded band above first floor windows in two window façade.

Ground floor with one sash window to LHS in grooved pilastered timber frame with moulded square capitals and flat stucco arch over with incised voussoirs. Modern projecting oriel window to RHS in pilastered frame with stucco panel beneath.

First floor with two sash windows with glazing bars.

Roof half hipped plain clay tile mansard with two flat roofed leaded dormers containing sash windows with glazing bars. Eaves and gutter.

Elevation to north, LHS, similar in treatment with single sash windows on first floor and in mansard. Small window on ground floor with two doors, one single with fanlight over, the other single with side panels and glazed. Both doors in pilastered frames with entablature and projecting lead covered flat moulded canopy over.

Comment:

Despite relatively poor condition, an unusually unmodified Town building and an important part of the street scene at a sensitive point where the Bligh’s Meadow development will need civilising. Must preserve.

Importance: A

Listed but not in previous survey.