Town Survey Update 1998/2001

London Road West: Sheet three

Building: 9 Photo: A14

History:

Built about 1770 as Wheatsheaf deeds 1770 and 1857, closed 1860/1861, re-built 1861/1862 including arch to left and Turner’s Yard to rear. Original location of Knocker’s solicitors. Shop windows fitted in 1930.

At the foot of the page is a photograph from the 1981 survey.

Current Use:

9 london rd A14

No. 9 first floor – Timothy McKenzie – dental surgeons

No. 9A & 9B ground floor – Logo – leisure clothing and sports equipment

Description:

Two storey building with roof conversion and two flat roof dormers with white metal windows added circa 1960. First floor sash windows set in rendered wall, with moulded architraves and corbels to windows. False ashlar quoins to opening to left on ground floor. First and second floors above entrance door to the accommodation is emphasised by a forward projection to right hand of elevation.

Roof is covered with slates and projecting eaves supported by white painted dentils.

Shop front in white painted timber and splayed central single entrance doors probably date from 1950.

Comment:

Generally in good condition.

Importance: B

Included in previous survey.

1981 survey

9 London Road w