Town Survey Update 1998/2001

London Road West: Sheet eight

Building: 21-23 Photo: E16

History:

Originally ancient timber framed farmhouse with 18th century stucco over older frame. At time of Bland’s Lane, three dwellings, single from 1867. Originally wine merchant, then boot and shoemaker followed by stationers Relf, Gregory and Staines before W. H. Smith from 1931 to beyond 1975. Subsequently Loughlins – Chemists.

Current Use:

21 23 london rd E16

Paydens Limited – chemist and pharmacy

First floor – part of Town Medical Centre

Description:

Two storey timber framed Grade II listed building refaced in 1987. First floor vertical plain clay tiles with two three light casements. Ground floor deep glazed leaded flashed fascia with green lettering on white supported by four crude timber end posts over modern shop front consisting of inset double timber glazed doors slightly offset to north with three large clear display windows on LHS and two ditto on RHS in timber frames over varied height brick stall riser – threshold slopes up to doors from pavement.

Roof hipped at north end in plain clay tiles with two hipped dormers with casement windows, the larger being to the south LHS.

Comment:

Refacing with tiles detracts from original stucco finish.

Importance: B/C

Not included in previous survey.