Town Survey Update 1998/2001

London Road West: Sheet ten

Building: 27 Photo: E15

History:

Occupied in 1825 by Robert Simmons, sign and ornamental painter, subsequently Kay bootmaker until 1921, Young dyers agent to 1924, Sevenoaks and District Electricity Company to 1935, followed by Young and Son from 1940 to 1949, then Field antiques until 1970’s.

Current Use:

27 london rd E15

Francis Chappell – Funeral Directors and Monumental Masons

Upper floors partially used by Town Medical Centre

Description:

Grade II Listed building with 16th or 17th century framed structure. Half hipped gabled elevation of two storeys facing London Road and projecting forward from main plain tiled hipped roof behind. Ground floor with large glazed shop window on road frontage and return on LHS with deep entablature band over with shop name. First floor formerly with exposed half timbering and plaster infilling with centre 18th century sliding casement but now only plaster over door and windows. Single door facing south with brick under window and lower stall riser on road frontage.

Comment:

Attractive modest building.

Importance: B

Not included in previous survey.