Town Survey Update 1998/2001

London Road West: Sheet eleven

Building: 29 Photo: E14

History:

Dispensing chemist for many years, first recorded Vincer by 1839, Sergeant by 1881, Pain tenant until 1901/02 then Parsons 1910 to 1922 and Loughlins from 1923 to beyond 1975. Remodelled 1909 in early 20th century Arts and Crafts style.

Current Use:

29 london rd E14

Regency Kitchens and Bedrooms, offices above.

Description:

On three floors under gabled roof of plain clay tiles – apex having moulded eaves with dentils enclosing rough cast plaster – painted white.

Ground floor recessed centre single door with fanlight over splayed back from shop front of single pane windows in timber frame on sloping concrete low stall riser capped with moulded cill to windows; fluted pilaster on RHS makes corner and return to shop front. Lead flashed medium height outward sloping fascia carried through whole elevation. First floor two white painted sash windows placed symmetrically in white roughcast with single casement window in plain clay tile return on RHS. Second floor five leaf casement bay window in centre with three leaves in centre under projecting full width moulded cornice on double brackets each side and one under bay centre, moulded eaves projecting on each side with supporting dentils, all lead flashed and painted black.

Comment:

Striking building of Arts and Craft character.

Importance: B

Not included in previous survey.