Town Survey Update 1998/2001

London Road West: Sheet eighteen

Building: 49 Photo: E6

History:

Built early 19th century (pre 1839) as Sevenoaks Savings Bank, later used as offices by Mr. Potter, estate agency and local board member, Bevam building and architect, Potter and Harvey shared from 1904 to 1914, with Quinnell from 1910 to 1914. Empty until 1933 to 1935 when occupied by Sevenoaks and District Scouts and shortly after by Sevenoaks News until 1982. Grade II listed. Subsequently, Phillips – Furniture and Fine Art Auctioneers (see photograph E6).

Current Use:

49 london rd E6

Vacant.

Description:

‘Elevation of coursed local stone. Plinth and band. Symmetrical 1.3.1 window façade with supporting wings right and left of one storey and centre of two storeys. Centre slightly projecting with moulded modillioned eaves and gutter. Hipped Welsh slate roof. Doors and windows in projecting square stone surrounds with flat arches over with centre voussoirs. Ground floor with three square sash windows. All windows with glazing bars. Corresponding panelled doors to right and left up three projecting stone steps. 19th century spearhead railings in front with stone plinth and gate openings to right and left, with square stone gatepiers with moulded stone coping.’

Comment:

Worthy of Grade II listed status.

Importance: A

Not included in previous survey.