Town Survey Update 1998/2001

London Road West: Sheet nineteen

Building: 51 Photo: E5

History:

St Nicholas Infants School established 1835, later moved to no. 59. 1856 St. Nicholas Parish Room used as canteen 1914 to 1918, central hall in 1933.

Current Use:

51 london rd E5

J V Geer and Sons Limited – heating and plumbing engineer.

Description:

Two storey under gable, remodelled 1955 by Geer, to end slate roof, lead flashing to white painted timber fascia. Ground floor main front glazed in timber frame divided centrally and returned on each side with rendered stall riser to variable height to suit pavement and with medium depth slayed out fascia over windows. Glazed timber door in recess to right and raised up two steps. First floor offices, rendered with raised quoins each side with centre three light metal casement window under raised plaster circle.

Comment:

Undistinguished little building but set back from corner and no. 53 provides very modest open space.

Importance: C/D

Not included in previous survey.