Town Survey Update 1998/2001

London Road West: Sheet twenty one

Building: 55 Photo: E3

History:

Hills coal office from pre 1891 to 1918, sharing with Traylen and Phillips as a music shop from 1914, the latter staying until 1931 changing name to Morley and Phillips then Phillips. French’s ladies and gentlemen’s hairdressers from 1932 until 1947, then Jane Bay from 1949 (see photograph E3). Refaced in ‘mock tudor’ in 1925.

Current Use:

55 london rd E3

Sheer Bliss – hair and beauty salon

Upper floors – office accommodation

Description:

On three floors under gable end and plain concrete pantile roof. Upper floors ‘mock tudor’ style. Ground floor traditional fine cast iron/wrought iron shop front display windows with centre single door set back under slightly splayed fascia and white painted moulded pilasters at each end, lead flashing over fascia and shallow cast iron vents over display windows. Low stall riser of white marble and black and white chequer board threshold. First floor single leaf 1 plus 2 plus one casement windows with leaded lights and fanlights over forming projecting bay supported on central bracket in black painted woodwork. White painted rendered wall. Second floor double white painted casement windows with leaded lights in centre of mock half timber wall jetted out on cross beam and end brackets, painted black and white plaster infill.

Comment:

Mixture of styles but featuring fine iron shop front, the vents being a feature of a number of shops in this part of the road.

Importance: C

Not included in previous survey.