Town Survey Update 1998/2001

London Road West: Sheet twenty two

Building: 57-59 Photos: D36, E2 and E1

History:

Mr. Stannard, plumber, occupied no. 57 in 1848, followed by Brown, plumber and decorator from 1889 to 1908. Daws’ in office from 1909 to 1919, followed by Cook, greengrocer, until 1928. Mould, clothier, followed in 1928 with Steven’s valet service from 1929 to 1933 when Betty’s Kitchen took over from 1936 to 1937 sharing first with Evelyn then Payne, both selling gowns. Blue Bird Café took over from 1940 to 1949 when Harrison antiques followed from 1950.

Current Use:

57 59 london rd D36

57 59 london rd E2

No. 57 Compact Disc – records, CD’s and cassettes

No. 57A Residential – first floor

57 59 london rd E1

No. 59 The Chocolate Shop – confectioners

No. 59A Residential – first floor

Description:

Modest 20th century double fronted brick building on three floors, possibly dating from 1930’s. Ground floor traditional timber shop front to each shop with single glazed door to each in approximate centre of elevation, no. 57 being slightly wider than no. 59, the latter having timber palisade gate of RHS to upper floors. Timber shop doors recessed with splayed side windows and single pane display windows with fanlights over at door head height. Plain clay tile threshold to each slightly raised from pavement. Single plain square column in centre supports shallow slightly splayed painted fascia to each moulded pilaster to RHS of no. 59. No. 57 painted blue with white lettering, no. 59 brown with white lettering. Low variable height stall riser, white to no. 57, brown to no. 59. First and second floors in brick with pair of timber semi-dormer windows at second floor eaves level, each with three leaf six pane casements, centre fixed and all painted white with gutter and lead flashings. First floor four leaf, six pane casement windows to each with two pane fixed fanlights over, side windows only opening and brick soldier course over windows.

RHS side wall to no. 59 returns into front of Simply Italian, in plain multi brick with two windows per floor, three six pane casements with fanlight over and one smaller six pane casement without fanlight on first floor back.

Roof, plain clay tile, hipped at each end with brick central chimney stack, black half round gutters in poor condition and rainwater pipes in centre and at each end.

Comment:

Undistinguished building.

Importance: D

Not included in previous survey.